Re: Linux or OSX?

From: Michael Pelletier (mjpelletier_at_mjpelletier.com)
Date: 04/07/05

Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 17:35:34 -0700

JD wrote:

> McDLT wrote:
>> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message

>>>Do you mean on an internal (private) network, a computer connected to the
>>>Internet directly, or a company network?
>>>
>>>Do you mean by a local computer user or by some external user without
>>>physical access to the computer.
>>>
>>>--
>>

>> Just a computer for the home. I want something I can turn on, do any kind
>> of banking or credit card ordering online, and then turn off. Basically
>> just something safer then my windows machines.
>>

> you don't have the same problems with viruses or Trojan horses on a
> Linux or UNIX machine but they do exist (alto not very common, and
> require specific operating system and conditions to function) almost all
> Linux and UNIX systems come with firewalls and high security as standard
> (you just have to keep it that way) I personally use FreeBSD 5.3 for all
> my work and Internet business while I keep a Windows machine for playing
> HalfLife 2.

I have actually migrated 99% away from Windows at home. I use FreeBSD 5.3
with KDE and many applications including OpenOffice, etc. I even sync my
calenders, email, addressbooks with my Palm Treo 650 with UNIX. Honestly,
there is not too much you can not do going to a 100% UNIX desktop. The few
differences are games and very specialized software...

Michael

--
"Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy operating systems." -
Linus Torvald