Re: Linux or OSX?

From: Michael Pelletier (mjpelletier_at_mjpelletier.com)
Date: 04/07/05

Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 17:35:34 -0700

JD wrote:

> McDLT wrote:
>> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message

>>>Do you mean on an internal (private) network, a computer connected to the
>>>Internet directly, or a company network?
>>>
>>>Do you mean by a local computer user or by some external user without
>>>physical access to the computer.
>>>
>>>--
>>

>> Just a computer for the home. I want something I can turn on, do any kind
>> of banking or credit card ordering online, and then turn off. Basically
>> just something safer then my windows machines.
>>

> you don't have the same problems with viruses or Trojan horses on a
> Linux or UNIX machine but they do exist (alto not very common, and
> require specific operating system and conditions to function) almost all
> Linux and UNIX systems come with firewalls and high security as standard
> (you just have to keep it that way) I personally use FreeBSD 5.3 for all
> my work and Internet business while I keep a Windows machine for playing
> HalfLife 2.

I have actually migrated 99% away from Windows at home. I use FreeBSD 5.3
with KDE and many applications including OpenOffice, etc. I even sync my
calenders, email, addressbooks with my Palm Treo 650 with UNIX. Honestly,
there is not too much you can not do going to a 100% UNIX desktop. The few
differences are games and very specialized software...

Michael

--
"Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy operating systems." -
Linus Torvald

Relevant Pages

  • Re: OT: Unix or UNIX or unix
    ... I wounder how many of the Linux users today understand where our ... Laboratory young men were asked to write a operating system that will be ... language and went to work designing Unix. ... I prefer a more lax definition and if you have followed the kernel ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Completely New User
    ... In other words, NO CLUE ABOUT UNIX. ... > operating system and have the same documents on both. ... > I've downloaded the Live demo of "SuSE Linux Professional Edition ... The Solaris operating system is also available for x86. ...
    (alt.linux)
  • Re: New Network
    ... By no means it is an "alternative operating system to Windows". ... "What is Linux? ... It aims towards POSIX and Single ... UNIX Specification compliance. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • RE: Why Windows Lost The Battle for the Desktop
    ... > any person who say that you can not get a virus or worm on unix or linux are ... > Unix is was never a desktop operating system and neither was linux until ... Check the # of known bugs in Server ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.general)
  • Re: Is "System Programing in Unix" the same as programing in C in Unix?
    ... > Linux operating system but plan to install Linux in the near future. ... UNIX OS of choice. ... > start studying programming with C in on the side on my own so that I ...
    (comp.unix.programmer)