Re: Linux or OSX?

From: Michael Pelletier (
Date: 04/07/05

Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 17:35:34 -0700

JD wrote:

> McDLT wrote:
>> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
>>>Do you mean on an internal (private) network, a computer connected to the
>>>Internet directly, or a company network?
>>>Do you mean by a local computer user or by some external user without
>>>physical access to the computer.
>> Just a computer for the home. I want something I can turn on, do any kind
>> of banking or credit card ordering online, and then turn off. Basically
>> just something safer then my windows machines.
> you don't have the same problems with viruses or Trojan horses on a
> Linux or UNIX machine but they do exist (alto not very common, and
> require specific operating system and conditions to function) almost all
> Linux and UNIX systems come with firewalls and high security as standard
> (you just have to keep it that way) I personally use FreeBSD 5.3 for all
> my work and Internet business while I keep a Windows machine for playing
> HalfLife 2.

I have actually migrated 99% away from Windows at home. I use FreeBSD 5.3
with KDE and many applications including OpenOffice, etc. I even sync my
calenders, email, addressbooks with my Palm Treo 650 with UNIX. Honestly,
there is not too much you can not do going to a 100% UNIX desktop. The few
differences are games and very specialized software...

"Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy operating systems." -
Linus Torvald

Relevant Pages

  • Re: OT: Unix or UNIX or unix
    ... I wounder how many of the Linux users today understand where our ... Laboratory young men were asked to write a operating system that will be ... language and went to work designing Unix. ... I prefer a more lax definition and if you have followed the kernel ...
  • Re: Completely New User
    ... In other words, NO CLUE ABOUT UNIX. ... > operating system and have the same documents on both. ... > I've downloaded the Live demo of "SuSE Linux Professional Edition ... The Solaris operating system is also available for x86. ...
  • Re: New Network
    ... By no means it is an "alternative operating system to Windows". ... "What is Linux? ... It aims towards POSIX and Single ... UNIX Specification compliance. ...
  • RE: Why Windows Lost The Battle for the Desktop
    ... > any person who say that you can not get a virus or worm on unix or linux are ... > Unix is was never a desktop operating system and neither was linux until ... Check the # of known bugs in Server ...
  • Re: Is "System Programing in Unix" the same as programing in C in Unix?
    ... > Linux operating system but plan to install Linux in the near future. ... UNIX OS of choice. ... > start studying programming with C in on the side on my own so that I ...