Re: Detect Wireless Access Points

From: Michael Pelletier (mjpelletier_at_mjpelletier.com)
Date: 04/03/05

Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2005 20:45:07 -0800

Leythos wrote:

> On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 12:07:28 +0000, donnie wrote:
>>
>> I consult for a mortgage company
>> and I just recommended that they don't go wireless when the move to
>> their new location.
>
> The only wireless we install is in bridge mode between two units, with MAC
> and key filtering. When you set up the units in bridge mode they don't
> allow outside connections.
>
> I refuse to do wireless for any of our clients. We had one medical center
> in LA that was adamant about having is install Wireless, we kept saying
> now, then when the client got real demanding, we took out a laptop and did
> a scan of the available networks, found 8 open networks in the area (all
> from the main conference room)..... Once we showed them the problem it was
> easy to dissuade them from implementing wireless.

Cisco has a nice product line basically using VPN over wireless...EAP
EAP/LEAP, etc..

Michael

--
"Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy operating systems." -
Linus Torvald

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Wireless Routers and Access Points
    ... coverage test results from a number of mainstream commodity wireless routers ... Are there any similar, more recent, reports? ... The big problem with the channel hopping scheme ... wireless clients do this very well. ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Wireless and Broadcast packets problem
    ... The Issue is that clients connected to the wireless LAN cannot _see_ other clients. ... When running TCPDump on AlbertAP I can see plenty of wireless traffic going around the place. ... I have run tcpdump on both AlbertAP and Sneaky and seem some interesting omissions. ...
    (freebsd-net)
  • Wireless and Broadcast packets problem
    ... I am having a problem with my wireless network. ... clients connected to the wireless LAN cannot _see_ other clients. ... I have run tcpdump on both AlbertAP and Sneaky and seem some interesting ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Using DHCP to separate activity?
    ... DHCP has address reservations matched to the MAC addresses on the visitors' laptops and assigns these to a specific range of IPs. ... The address range used by the reservation is set up as a Computer Set in ISA Server. ... I have another client that allows limited wireless access to visitors, but the wireless access point is between the firewall appliance and external interface of the SBS box. ... wireless clients must use VPN access if they want into the internal network. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Using DHCP to separate activity?
    ... One of my clients is branch office for a national company. ... The wireless access point does not provide IP addresses. ... DHCP has address reservations matched to the MAC addresses on the ... visitors' laptops and assigns these to a specific range of IPs. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)