Re: Ewido, Trojan Hunter Or Both?

From: Ann Speakman (aspeakman_at_homechoice.co.uk)
Date: 04/02/05

Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2005 20:34:31 +0100

I forgot to mention I do have Spybot and use TeaTimer in my systray.

It seems to work with Prevx OK,that is there is no apparent conflict.

Prevx only annoys when you try to download, it gets very anxious. They
have improved things by allowing you to suspend the programme while you
download.

I find that the settings on Prevx are not easy to understand or set..I
wish they had ticks instead of putting either a black or white dot...I
really am not sure how to set the security on it, but I have it just as
extra protection and update it daily.

I have McAfee Stinger sitting on my desktop plus the TrendMicro free
scan programme.

I tried Escan, but it always comes up with one or two nasties, but with
no ability to get rid of them...they are generally spyware, which
hopefully I can get rid of with AdAware or Spybot S&D

I will look at the AV programme you mention.

Thanks for your help. It is comforting to know I have dne all the free
things that I can!

Cheers

Ann

NonDisputandum.com wrote:
> On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 16:53:48 +0100, Ann Speakman
> <aspeakman@homechoice.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>My evaluation time of Ewido suite has just finished and I am currently
>>trying out Trojan Hunter.
>>
>>I know that these programmes do some different things, but recently I
>>had the trauma(for a non techie like myself) of having to reformat my
>>PC. and I would like to protect myself as much as possible.
>>
>>I use the following free programmes:
>>
>>Avast Home Edition (latest)plus Virus Cleaner
>>Zone Alarm free edition
>>AdAware SE
>>SpyWareBlaster
>>A squared malware tool
>>CWShredder
>>Spyware Guard
>>WinPatrol
>>Microsoft Ant SpyWare
>>Prevx Home edition
>>

>>My only previous sin that I know of was to visit Limewire
>> to look for classical music.
>>

>>I can afford to pay for adequate protection and had thought of
>>purchasing AV as well....Either Nod32 or Kapersky, but I read threads
>>here and see that Avast is well thought of and I am not sure if either
>>of the purchases I mention would protect me better from nasties.
>>

>>I humbly ask your opinion,as most of you are much smarter than I am
>>,technically speaking. Should I purchase any of the stuff I have mentioned?
>>

>>---
>>avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
>>Virus Database (VPS): 0513-2, 04/01/2005
>>Tested on: 4/2/2005 4:53:49 PM
>>avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2005 ALWIL Software.
>>

> copared to the average pc user, you have a fine system protection
> Awido is slow,.. very slow. And imho it does nothing more than other
> malwarefighters do. Perhaps ad spybot s&d to your antyi spyware
> collection and a few other (minor players):
> more: http://www.nondisputandum.com/index.html
> and if you really want another viruskiller, get ClamAV - on demand
> and some tools like stinger & stuff if you need a second opinion:
> http://www.nondisputandum.com/html/anti_virus.html
>
> Could you please tell me about your experiences with PREVX?
> Be aware: It does not run smooth alongsode SPYBOT's TEatimer,.. so do
> get SPybot but at the moment you have the option to install Teatimer
> (registry monitor),.. just let it be.
>
> greetz

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0513-2, 04/01/2005
Tested on: 4/2/2005 8:34:31 PM

  • Re: Is it dangerous to disable "TeapotTimer in Spybot?
    ... I've recommended, and we installed, AVG Free, Spybot, and Adaware for protection. ... When she runs and dials-up to get online, her computer takes forever and Task Manager shows Spybot's 'TeaTimer' to be the cpu-hog. ... If it does work, you will lose some protection against infection with spybots, most of which are relatively harmless - they just monitor whether you click on ads, for example. ...
    (alt.comp.anti-virus)
  • Re: Ewido, Trojan Hunter Or Both?
    ... | I forgot to mention I do have Spybot and use TeaTimer in my systray. ... | It seems to work with Prevx OK,that is there is no apparent conflict. ... Stinger is a great tool but, it only targets ~53 infectors and their variants. ... You can use the Sysclean Front End utility to keep both SYSCLEAN.COM and the associated ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • [Full-disclosure] Prevx Pro 2005 - Multiple Vulnerabilities
    ... Prevx Pro 2005 - Multiple ... Its intelligent system protection allows you to ... the protection can be bypassed by using memory mapping. ... Sending bogus commands to kernel driver. ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Prevx2.0 1.0.1.12
    ... All the protection you could need in one easy-to-use package. ... of malware and crimeware. ... Prevx community of over a million users. ...
    (comp.software.shareware.announce)
  • [NT] Prevx Pro Multiple Vulnerabilities (File Protection Bypass, Command Bypass)
    (Securiteam)