Re: Detect Wireless Access Points

From: Doug Fox (dfox168_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 04/02/05

Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2005 12:28:29 -0500

The challenge is some branch managers or some technies in a branch office
would installed AP disregarding company policies. The IT department wants
to identify these "rouge" wireless LAN remotely.

Someone has mentioned Cisco's WLSE or AirMagnet's products, but they cost an
arm and a leg.

We are looking for a "cheaper" solution :-(

> On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 12:07:28 +0000, donnie wrote:
>>
>> I consult for a mortgage company
>> and I just recommended that they don't go wireless when the move to
>> their new location.
>
> The only wireless we install is in bridge mode between two units, with MAC
> and key filtering. When you set up the units in bridge mode they don't
> allow outside connections.
>
> I refuse to do wireless for any of our clients. We had one medical center
> in LA that was adamant about having is install Wireless, we kept saying
> now, then when the client got real demanding, we took out a laptop and did
> a scan of the available networks, found 8 open networks in the area (all
> from the main conference room)..... Once we showed them the problem it was
> easy to dissuade them from implementing wireless.
>
> --
> spam999free@rrohio.com
> remove 999 in order to email me

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Wireless network problem after upgrade to 8.04
    ... you might have some old settings running that are causing trouble. ... That wouldn't surprise me but the install told me that it was ... The LED light for the wireless device DOES NOT turn on, ... a pid file /var/run/dhclient.wlan0.pid with pid 9263 ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Wireless interface stopped working in Etch
    ... The same driver, built in the same way, will not ... systems is that the name allocated to the wireless interface is ... On the fresh install, the interface's name has been changed from wlan0 ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: how to turn a pc in a wireless router without the use of drivers
    ... They included some memory on the USB device, ... modifying or adding to the USB driver install can load just about ... contained (power, firmware, wireless client, DHCP server, firewall, ... this would not behave as a router but only allows your computer to ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Windows error 80072ee2 and 80072efe
    ... working and the wireless button remained amber on & off. ... and the dialog box said "install wireless networking hardware and ... Problem is i've been trying to update windows but it ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)