Re: Firewall tests

From: Darko Gavrilovic (darkoDOTgavrilovicATutorontoDOTca)
Date: 03/24/05

Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 11:55:08 -0600

"Daniel Harris" <daniel_lee_harris@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in news:4242fd91_4
@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com:

> Hello,
>
> For a current project i am to test lots of software firewalls e.g. Zone
> alarm etc, using 2 PC's(one to host the firewall, the other to send test
> data). Has anyone got any information on how i could test the firewalls.
> Doing some research i have come across things like SYN flood tests, port
> scans, throughput / number of connections tests. Am i on the right track.
> How can i carryout these tests using two PC's. Any help would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Dan.

Howdy. You might want to check the GRC site.

http://www.grc.com/freepopular.htm

Cheers,

--
"Why do they call it rush hour when nothing moves?", Robin Williams

Relevant Pages

  • RE: Firewalls (was Re: IDS evaluations procedures)
    ... firewalls will work much better than network firewalls, ... God know that if there existed brain based personal firewalls, ... So far, most host based solutions I've seen are not ...
    (Focus-IDS)
  • PIX firewall (501 and 506) outside subnet not available to inside hosts
    ... They are behind PIX firewalls. ... The firewalls are configured for interface PAT. ... "static" entry for the server. ... Neither server is able to connect to any host on the same ...
    (comp.dcom.sys.cisco)
  • RE: [fw-wiz] Vulnerability Response (was: BGP TCP RST Attacks)
    ... >evolving solution spaces that solve real problems. ... The big problem with host based anything is that the management effort ... >prioritise information about where they are exposed to known vulnerabilities ... Firewalls are perfectly good tools that are regularly mis-used. ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • Re: Untersuchungen
    ... Personal Firewalls kaum geeignet sind, ... Personal Firewalls und z.B. 'host based packet filters' ... privat genutzten PC als Client unterhalten, ... Für einen privat genutzten PC als Client, ...
    (de.comp.security.firewall)
  • Re: Untersuchungen
    ... >>| Hier wird gerne und häufig Personal Firewalls ein Sinn herbei zu ... > Installation eines 'host based packet filters') werden soll. ... Next by Date: ...
    (de.comp.security.firewall)