Re: Completely replace software firewall with hardware firewall?

From: Keith (
Date: 03/22/05

Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 19:46:55 GMT

i've never bothered with a firewall, especially since windows brought out
sp2 with the security center with a builtin virewall, whats the point in
getting any more
"Sandi" <> wrote in message
> Here in the UK, I am on NTL cable and have just one PC attached.
> My head is spinning with all the configuration rules and exceptions
> which need configuring for a software firewall.
> I thought I was doing ok with user guides like the section called:
> "Personal firewall configuration for cable modems"
> But it turns out that things are still more complicated than that.
> As an example, I installed Outpost and came across this advice page.
> Oh wow. It's all too much! :-) I just want protection without
> becoming an enthusiast or even expert in firewall configuration.
> QUESTION ONE: If I buy a hardware firewall then will it completely
> replace the need for me to have a software firewall? That would save
> me some headaches!
> QUESTION TWO: I might get a second PC and want to attach both PCs to
> the cable network at the same time. I have heard I can do it with a
> box which includes a hardware firewall as well as some other
> functions. But exactly what sort of box is it that I would need?
> Any suggestions about recommended hardware devices would be welcome.
> Sandi

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Client End Firewalls
    ... it doesn't matter if the email client can't be tricked when the ... control such things on a Windows 98 box. ... > than getting the client firewall properly configured. ... > additional costs for configuration and configuration-changes? ...
  • Re: Cant Ping Windows 2003 server after R2 Upgrade..HELP!
    ... UPDATE* -- i've enabled to the windows firewall just to see what can be ... i then adjust the ICMP setting to allow ALL icmp. ... Enable 3 Allow outbound destination unreachable ... ICMP configuration for Local Area Connection 7: ...
  • RE: Re(2): Hardware Firewall vs Software Firewall
    ... Subject: Re: Hardware Firewall vs Software Firewall ... packets at a much lower level in the IP stack than your Linux example. ...
  • RE: Hardware Firewall vs Software Firewall
    ... Hardware Firewall vs Software Firewall ... The Cisco Secure PIX is a high perfoming firewall, ...
  • RE: Hardware Firewall vs Software Firewall
    ... Hardware Firewall vs Software Firewall ... I think a hardware firewall might be something different. ... faster than the method the PIX and other boxes use. ...