Re: Software Makers Fight Spyware Blacklist, Murky Definition

From: Doug (SpamMagnetREMOVETHIS_at_thelawlessboys.com)
Date: 03/15/05

Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 14:05:57 -0600

Martin wrote:
> Joe Moore wrote:

<snip>

>> When you say that there isn't any malware in Real VNC, I think you're
>> missing the point. Spyware detection should be based on the capability
>> and behavior of the program, not the suspected motivation of the
>> installer.
>

> I'd normally agree with you, but it's kind of hard when it comes to VNC.
>
> I've never heard of VNC trying to install itself from an ActiveX
> commponant, or just from clicking on a web page or through P2P
>
> It's huntable if you know what you're looking for, otherwise you'd never
> come across it accidentally.
>
> On their home page it states "The system allows several connections to
> the same desktop, providing an invaluable tool for collaborative or
> shared working in the workplace or classroom. Computer support within
> the geographically spread family is an ever popular use."
>
> It does what it says on the tin! So what else do people expect when they
> install it?

I think it's still valid to flag it - for one particular environment
that is. How about a multi-user computer? What if my wife has installed
VNC or something else on my home PC? I'd like a scanning tool to report
it and let me decide what to do about it.

It shouldn't alert her to my keylogger though ;-)

<snip>

Relevant Pages

  • Re: VNC ? again
    ... Uninstall the tight VNC ... date district rules we cant install other software on the computers so, ... testing I'd recommend turning off Ask you for confirmation - just make ... I want to access the Ubuntu desktops with both Ubuntu and Windows XP ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: VNC ? again
    ... Uninstall the tight VNC ... date district rules we cant install other software on the computers so, ... testing I'd recommend turning off Ask you for confirmation - just make ... I want to access the Ubuntu desktops with both Ubuntu and Windows XP ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: vpn to either xp pro or 2000 pro desktop
    ... drives/machines outside each network.. ... I can have her log into her machine with the same vnc viewer over the vpn.. ... have to install PRO on the laptop also or does that matter? ...
  • Re: port forwarding problem
    ... running that is when I got the stealth mode. ... option called "statefull firewall" by removing that little ... This is a quite new winxp install, ... > Make sure that your Internet connection is working and run vnc. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Suitable provider
    ... You would need to install VNC on hs PC - presumably this is an oldish machine running XP? ... No need for special routers, or for complicated settings, or VNC or TightVNC or anything like that. ... You have the Teamviewer Full Version installed on your machine and the person requiring the help simply downloads the Teamviewer Quick Support module to their desktop. ...
    (uk.telecom.broadband)