Re: webroot products

From: Vanguard (use_ReplyTo_header)
Date: 03/13/05

Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 00:28:06 -0600

"David Shaw" <dave.shaw@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1110685585.939912.195900@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Interestingly enough, just this morning I was reading on Slashdot.org
> that a spyware company (Spyware Assassin) I believe was convicted of
> giving false positives in order to entice users to buy their full
> product, and shut down. I'm sure Spyware Assassin wasn't/isn't the
> only
> company to do such a thing.

See http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2005/03/maxtheater.htm and
http://www.ftc.gov/os/caselist/0423213/050311comp0423213.pdf.

Sanford Wallace, one-time self-proclaimed spam king, moved from spam to
spyware. He would distribute spyware and have sites with popups telling
users they were infected and had to buy his anti-spyware product. The
FTC opened a lawsuit against in in October 2004.

Post your replies to the newsgroup.  Share with others.

  • Re: Is it Possible to run a batch file upon boot
    ... "Leonard Grey" wrote: ... | Are you aware of any virus or spyware that has examined a user's index ... if I were a programmer of spyware company and ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize)
  • Re: Is it Possible to run a batch file upon boot
    ... So far spammers and spyware creators have done extremely well without the need to search your indexes. ... Errare humanum est ... Sam wrote: ... if I were a programmer of spyware company and wanted to target a particular groupin means of gathering surfing habits and other info to sell or spam you; what better way to find out where you frequent? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize)
  • Re: spyware?
    ... > stuff?and if so can you recommend a spyware company i could use,thanks garvan ... If you practice good computing habits, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Software Makers Fight Spyware Blacklist, Murky Definition
    ... >> Makers of antispyware programs like to keep long lists of ... Spyware is their bread and butter. ... Spyware Assassin tried to scare consumers into buying software through ...
    (alt.computer.security)