Re: Weekly routine

From: winged (winged_at_nofollow.com)
Date: 02/24/05

Date: 24 Feb 2005 01:02:20 EST

Leythos wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 21:52:18 +0000, ROBERT S AMP BA Drake wrote:
>
>>Good points. I'd add that I use Norton Ghost evrytime I have more software
>>updates than I would care to reload. Data is backed up frequently.
>>
>>In the event of a casualty, I have to feed in ghost CDs follwed by a data
>>restore. Maybe this is too much trouble, but I bet the day I stop doing it
>>will be the day it all goes to hell in a handbasket!
>

> Ghost is a great product, don't know about version that Symantec sells
> now, it's no the same Ghost. I use to use Ghost as a means to reconfigure
> the training centers - create one image for each class type and then load
> them over the network at the same time.
>
> I also know a lot of people that use ghost to make backups before any
> major updates, it's a good method.

I use Ghost to back up the virtuals as well. Ghost is one powerful
product. I use multiple ghost images to break up the rebuild process
and use scripts to control the rebuild. On patch days I run one set of
backups the night after then the following day scripts patch the virtual
files,, then the virtuals get backed up the next night on hd dvd rw. I
try to maintain at least 3 months of archive, just in case. I use an old
DAT drive to do daily incrementals for changed files. This is a script
that just id's changes since previous day. I know my version of ghost
is old, but it still works well for me. I have been meaning to get a
newer version of ghost ...but that would probably require more work....

Winged

Relevant Pages

  • Re: SP2 makes XP-Home/SP1 CD - TROJAN
    ... A machine that is working and can be restored to a working state byy a fresh install does not have a hardware issue - but a software/user issue. ... We never used Ghost before and are leery about trying it. ... There are 12 listed updates before you were to ever install SP2 onto that HP machine.. ... It also has read drives for flashcards, smart-media, an mmc drive and MSMS pro drive. ...
  • Re: external drive failed?
    ... it occurred to me also that updates requiring a reboot ... computer going into standby while it was trying to do something else. ... Now, since neither problem occurred until the Ghost installation, my ... 'H' was my backup partition. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Latest XP Updates hosed my system
    ... Unfortunately, ever since I applied the updates, the system takes FOREVER to ... There was a popup and one of the Ghost ... up the symptom of the problem, but there's still something going on. ... The symptoms are the desktop paints, but immediately locks up for 2 minutes. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: "Updates ready to install"
    ... image files I have created using Ghost version 10. ... What I do is to turn off 'Automatic Updates', ... Then I manually update Windows by going the URL listed below. ... How to Configure and use Automatic Updates in Windows XP: ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: Unable to download and install updates
    ... Nortons and could have migrated to ghost. ... Before the HD crashed, there were Windows ... > Updates are not working. ... > the running program in order to close the Explorer window. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)