Re: Weekly routine

From: Bren (bren_at_chariot.net.au)
Date: 02/23/05

Date: 23 Feb 2005 00:15:00 -0800

Thanks for your comments to date.

winged <winged@nofollow.com> wrote in message news:<cvgodq$9fu@dispatch.concentric.net>...

> Leythos wrote:
> > On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 05:13:52 -0800, Bren wrote:

> > Are you behind a NAT device with no forwarded inbound ports?

No LAN, or router. Just a DSL 300 modem with WIN SP2 firewall.

> > Do you use a non-IE web browser?
> > Do you use a non-MS email client?

Using IE6 and OE6

> > One more thing - if you really want to check your machine, run the AV and
> > Spyware removal tools in Safe Mode.

Sounds good. Switch off System Restore first or does Safe Mode do this
automatically?

> Many Sp2 users will be shocked to find out their system restore
> functionality Pre SP2 has been broken and you can't go back. Especially
> since a number of mass producers don't provide a win install disk.

Vital information!

> You might want to invest some effort on backup and recovery. It is
> often easier to rebuild a properly backed up system than it is to figure
> out how to fix it. Hardware does fail. New exploits are a daily event.
> Backups are your best friend! It can take a long time to recover from a
> disaster, crap happens, a system can be rebuilt in minutes from a
> properly backed up system. My method would not work for most folks (I
> use virtual machines, it works for me) however find a method that works
> for you, do a backup and test it to ensure your methodology works. Try
> to automate the process as much as possible so the system does the work,
> not you.

My newsagent, has a wealth of both local (Aus) and overseas magazines
giving WIN XP support.

Thanks for your comments.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Transaction log and rebuilding indexes
    ... I would also make sure that I have a valid FULL backup before I change the ... Change recovery to SIMPLE ... REBUILD ALL INDEXES using sp_msforeachtable 'ALTER INDEX ALL ON ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.server)
  • Re: SP2 Firewall question
    ... >because of the SP2 Firewall ... You will need to go to Control Panel - Windows firewall and on the ... exceptions page Add and browse to the backup program you use. ... specific port rather than the program. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)