Re: My customers keep getting infected?

From: ROBERT S AMP BA Drake (robtsdrake_at_verizon.net)
Date: 02/21/05

Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 14:34:46 GMT

If you have a 16 year old loose on the machine (not locked down to minimum
user) you need ghost to undo all the damage.

I had a customer and I locked the kid down - like Jim & others have
suggested. Kid wasn't happy, nagged the parents, wanted more permissions
and they gave in. So the kid got his permissions.

I got a panic call three weeks later and the computer was at all stop.

I suggested they give the computer to the kid, get a new one and I'll lock
it down for parents use only. That solved the problem and the kid is
learning how to properly operate his machine (albeit slowly)!
> On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 16:43:49 -0800, johns wrote:
>> Listen carefully: I read other replies here, and clearly
>> I'm the only pro replying to you !!!!
>
> It's good that you consider yourself a Pro, but, while you have some good
> ideas, most of it's not needed and is only a waste of time. If the OP
> doesn't already have Ghost he's not much of a tech to begin with, and the
> clients doesn't need Ghost for such a action.
>
> If the machine is properly secured and has quality AV software installed
> along with a secured browser and email client then you don't need to ghost
> the machine or buy a new drive.
>
> What you should have done was explain how to secure the machine, how to
> set IE for secure mode, to use alternative browsers and email clients to
> get a router with NAT instead of the personal firewall (of which McAfee is
> one of the worst AV/FW suites out there)....
>
> Your solution has limited ability to protect the users.
>

> --
> spam999free@rrohio.com
> remove 999 in order to email me

Relevant Pages

  • Re: My customers keep getting infected?
    ... > I'm the only pro replying to you ... clients doesn't need Ghost for such a action. ... along with a secured browser and email client then you don't need to ghost ... What you should have done was explain how to secure the machine, ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: What is this WIN XPE about ?
    ... most secure way is to use the EWF filter ... > Thnaks Martin ... > In my case I have setup a standard ghost image for all system we deliver ... > Does that image build with Target Designer could help on doing a read only ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded)
  • Re: YASID: Dead childs ghost
    ... It's a book I read as a kid, and can't have been written later than the ... is a boy who has just moved to a new house with his parents. ... He always closes the door on the invisible presence, ... is a ghost or a time displaced version of the kid before he died. ...
    (rec.arts.sf.written)
  • Re: One-off 70s British PBS show?
    ... I'm not sure if that's it, the ghost angle certainly fits and I do ... �I can remember all kinds of non-North American children's ... programming from when I was a kid, though I can't remember much about it, ... programming except for pre-schoolers. ...
    (rec.arts.tv)