Re: My customers keep getting infected?

From: ROBERT S AMP BA Drake (robtsdrake_at_verizon.net)
Date: 02/21/05

Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 14:29:33 GMT

Johns is exactly right. What I have found is that they will scrap the
computer and go buy a new Dell for $650 with XP and a clean install all
ready to go instead of investing a few hundred to get the old one right.
Then, 6 months later, deterioration sets in due to lack of FW, AV, intrusion
detection and the like and the cycle starts over.Computer and SW
manufacturers love these people!.
"johns" <johns123xxx@xxxmoscow.com> wrote in message
> You are not getting the dropper (packer, etc). What
> has happened is someone in the house was browsing
> less than wonderful sites .. along with getting a lot of
> scumbag email .. etc, and they did not have AV, firewall,
> and email filtering ... so they pulled down a world of
> packers that hide all over the PC, and slowly unload
> their final product. You can go in and remove the final
> product .. GAIN, gator, dialer, on and on, but then
> the packer is still there, and it will just unload all of that
> poop again. If you install AV, you will stop viruses
> coming in to the PC, but you won't usually detect viruses
> on the PC .. or at least they will be difficult to remove
> if they have made it into system files or email archives.
> You can dl spybot1.3 and Adaware6, but they will only
> remove the active spyware, and again they cannot remove
> the packers that will simply reinstall all that crap.
> Listen carefully: I read other replies here, and clearly
> I'm the only pro replying to you !!!!
>
> First, tell your customers to let you do a complete
> reinstall of their PC from scratch.
> If agreed, tell them to go and purchase the ENTIRE
> McAffee security suite. It is about $70 to $100 ??
> Backup their Documents, Favorites, Email ( good luck),
> possibly any photo album programs that store photos
> in their own subdirectories.
> Under Email, make sure you export and backup their
> address book to a txt or wab file.
> Backup any old DOS programs like Brothers Keeper,
> or anything that keeps its own data. Ask them !!!
> Burn this data to cdr .. if they don't have a cdr. Get one.
> Then tell them they need WinXP Home or Pro, and to
> go buy it .. also to buy the accompanying Office Suit.
> Finally have them buy a disk imaging app like Norton
> Ghost 8 .. or PowerQuest2001 *** I like.
> Get together all their ISP poop and setup.
>
> I realize all of this is going into a bit of money, but that
> is just the way it is .. expect about $200 to $400.
>
> They need at least a 120 gig drive. Partition it c-drive
> 40gig, d-drive 60gig and install the OS , mobo drivers,
> and SP2. Install the video drivers and create accounts
> for everyone using the box. Go in and make the accounts
> look good. Nice desktop, 1024 x 768, 75 vert. I like
> to center the background picture and leave a border
> that helps show up the icons. Install the ISP access,
> and check it, and log out. Install McAffee. Turn OFF
> automatic updates .. always do that manually. Turn OFF
> the windows firewall .. use the McAffee firewall.
> Install all apps.
> Now, load the backup cdr, and scan the crap out of it.
> Restore Mydocs, favorites, email and check it for
> addr book, boxes, etc. IF THE USER SQUAWKS
> .... about something is missing, tell them you did the
> best that you could to recover their poop. If you were
> afraid of this, THEN FOR SURE, before you start,
> have them buy a new hard drive, and slave their old
> one to it and recover data from the slaved drive.
> [...]

Relevant Pages

  • Re: My customers keep getting infected?
    ... If you install AV, you will stop viruses ... >>Backup their Documents, Favorites, Email, ... >>Get together all their ISP poop and setup. ... >>the windows firewall .. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: My customers keep getting infected?
    ... You are not getting the dropper (packer, ... If you install AV, you will stop viruses ... Backup their Documents, Favorites, Email, ... Get together all their ISP poop and setup. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: RAID, SCHMAID.......
    ... And risky to change it later without a full image backup. ... partition, & then restore only the OS, but still verydoable. ... partition before an install of something you havent installed before, ... but so many ppl make a mess of things esp with today's big drives. ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage)
  • Re: Latest info
    ... How to Troubleshoot a Stop 0xC0000218 Error Message ... A Stop 0xc0000218 error message means that a necessary registry hive file ... restore the registry files from a backup. ... >> original OS install. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)
  • Re: Whats erasing my OE 6.0 mail & newsgroup accounts?
    ... OK - Bear - answering under each question: ... ISP= Cox.net - Wichita, KS - no Cox software installed. ... Did you install any of ... I re-established my ISP mail accounts with the unfamiliar server names & ...