Re: Windows Firewall Has A Backdoor

From: Jay Calvert (jcalvert_at_habaneronetworks.nospam.com)
Date: 02/20/05

Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 08:04:06 +0000

DevilsPGD wrote:
> In message <cv87no$m6d$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk> Jay Calvert
> <jcalvert@habaneronetworks.nospam.com> wrote:
>

>>Did you know that programs on your computer can write their own rules
>>for your firewall. This makes it pretty convenient for spyware, doesn't it.
>

> So?
>
> The malware is already on your computer by the time it can tamper with
> your firewall settings. In other words, it's already too late.

Yes the trojan is on your machine, by fault of the user, not the
firewall running. If I download some spyware by mistake and install it,
this has nothing to do with the firewall, at least the Windows Firewall.

However, if I execute that malware on my machine and it circumvents the
rules I have put into place in my Windows Firewall, the firewall becomes
useless.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: memory
    ... one thing i have noticed in regards to spyware programs ... The settings above provide decent security and still provide you with the ... This is why I suggest that you do not use the inbuilt microsoft firewall. ... settings for the Windows Firewall. ...
  • Re: Automatic Updates Will Not Turn On
    ... Suggest you first ensure that the system is totally free of malware. ... Learn how the firewall can be disabled and how to enable the native ... the Windows firewall. ... section wuaucpl ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • RE: spyware file location question
    ... firewall kept prompting for access for a program ... piece of spyware having a similar PC-cillin ... a question mark in it. ... Malware never remove all its ...
  • Re: Help on SEARCH with MSN
    ... It is not spyware or any of those as I have them all ... You should periodically defragment your hard drives as well as check them ... using Windows XP "prettifications". ... You should at least turn on the built in firewall. ...
  • Re: Spyware problems
    ... > spyware, and a link to a removal site. ... Depends on what "no matter what I do" includes... ... using Windows XP "prettifications". ... You should at least turn on the built in firewall. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)