Re: Natted IP

From: Bill Unruh (unruh_at_string.physics.ubc.ca)
Date: 02/17/05

Date: 17 Feb 2005 22:05:03 GMT

"Stuart M" <dfdgh@fghf.cvgd> writes:

>I just did a firewall test at http://www.auditmypc.com and it found out my
>internal ip address. I am behind a Draytek Vigor router and am running XP.
>Can anyone advise me on why this is so and what I can do about it? Here is
>the text from the site:

Your own computer surely knows its own IP. Your browser runs on your
computer. Why should it not be able to display its own IP address?

> Notice!, your natted (or real) IP address is 192.168.1.10. This
>information can be used to track your activities. I should not be able to
>obtain this information if your security is properly configured!

Who says they have the info?

>It does say on another part of the site that disabling Java script stops it
>(it does) but I would think my router could also.

IF your system sends out info from your machine in an http request, then
why should your router stop it? It is just data in a packet, unless you
want to cut off all http communications.

>I am also a bit puzzled by the fact that I have a range of ports forwarded
>to this pc for gaming purposes and both this site and grc.com report them
>stealthed even when the game server is running. Any info on this would be
>interesting.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: network problems?
    ... This happens only with machines running -current and when the traffic is passed through router based on FreeBSD 4.4. ... sis0: Silicon Revision: DP83816A ... HTTP request sent; waiting for response. ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Re: [SLE] DSL/Networking question (kinda OT)
    ... I currently have DSL. ... > router has a built in web server that displays the number of addresses ... > like all HTTP request going to the IP address I get from the DSL ... port forwarding or something like that. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Belkin "parental control" spam
    ... I have a Belkin router. ... Every once in a while when I make an http request, the router hijacks it and makes a redirect to filter.belkin.com, resulting in web spam from belkin - an ad for a parental control feature on the router. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: How to detect programmatically if my machine is behind a firewall
    ... Sorry if I didn't make my meaning clear, but by "my", I meant the ... may not be behind a router. ... >> potentially silly way would be to send an HTTP request to ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: How to detect programmatically if my machine is behind a firewall
    ... Sorry if I didn't make my meaning clear, but by "my", I meant the ... may not be behind a router. ... >> potentially silly way would be to send an HTTP request to ...
    (comp.lang.java.help)