Re: Is this really a Microsoft site, or just another phishing scam??

From: winged (winged_at_nofollow.com)
Date: 02/17/05

Date: 16 Feb 2005 20:23:54 EST

Jim Watt wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 15:12:36 +0100, Wimbo
> <wimbo_online@_REMOVETHIS_hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>A couple of months ago, I bought a MSDN Universal Subscription. Today I
>>received an e-mail with the request of validating my registered
>>information.
>

> undoubtedly phishing - nobody would ask you to 'validate'
> they already know.
>
> I still get occasional 'here is an important patch from Microsoft'
>
> they don't send thiose either.
> --
> Jim Watt
> http://www.gibnet.com
Heh even their Microsoft patch announcement dates are getting old.
Shucks most of mine are still announcing the January patches. Shucks
can't find good spammers these days, worse many appear that English is
not their native tongue. Watch out though, I have seen a number of
these that are not phishing schemes but compromise schemes that use IE
link exploits (cross zone etc) to make zombies. I didn't check out your
link coding in e-mail nor their destinations so I don't "know" if this
was the case in your example or not. Obviously it wasn't from Microsoft.

Winged

Relevant Pages

  • Re: M$ Backs out of releasing a security patch...
    ... Jim Watt wrote: ... STILL vulnerable for a "critical", as said by Microsoft themselves, ... Jim that is a real live Microsoft spokesperson who said that. ... without any knowledge, hummm, yup you're a troll... ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Microsoft speaks out against New Zealands new anti-spam law
    ... Jim Watt wrote: ... I never attack anyone who says that Microsoft is "good" when they can ... practices, for forgeting about their customers, for their illegal business ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: My customers keep getting infected?
    ... Jim Watt wrote: ... > No, I think the point was that it was a matter of different cultures, ... > a discussiion of the merits of which is equally off topic; ... Hey I want another common share payout from Microsoft, ...
    (alt.computer.security)