Re: Avast or Zone Alarm using proxy server?

From: Beauregard T. Shagnasty (a.nony.mous_at_example.invalid)
Date: 02/16/05

Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 13:59:31 -0500

In alt.comp.anti-virus, James Egan wrote:

> On the contrary he's mentioned quite a few valid points and is
> largely correct.

Yes, his ideas would be fine for him, you, and me, who know how this
stuff works, but not a good idea for, as an example, a granny who just
got her first computer so she can email the family. I can not picture
phoning up my 85 year old mother who lives 250 miles away, and telling
her to uninstall the firewall, use Internet Explorer, and get a packet
sniffer. I gave Mom her first-ever computer for her 80th birthday.

> Don't try and make him out to be some kind of whacko (which he
> clearly isn't) to try and gain the upper hand in your losing
> argument.

I never said he was a wacko, just that his advice for newbies is
insufficient.

--
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.