Re: Avast or Zone Alarm using proxy server?

From: Martin (vk2umj_at_yahoo.com.invalid)
Date: 02/15/05

Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 10:22:04 +1100

"Gerald Vogt" <vogt@spamcop.net> wrote in message
news:420ffad6$0$979$44c9b20d@news2.asahi-net.or.jp...
> Lars-Erik ěsterud wrote:
>> I use 3 different spy/adware cleaning enginges too, but that does NOT
>> stop all the programs talking to the net without asking first :-/
>
> Again: it is easy to circumvent. Your PFW does not stop _all_ programs
> talking to the net without asking first. It does stop those which kindly
> agree to be cooperative and do simply use the windows IP stack for
> communication. If the program does use other ways of communication (e.g.
> your web browser) your PFW won't block nor notify because I assume that
> your PFW is configured to allow outgoing web browser traffic. Programs can
> also simply deactivate the PFW for a while and send out data anyway.
>
> Again: There is no way to filter _all_ outgoing traffic on the computer
> you are running. The only thing to do that would be some external device.
>
> Gerald

BUT, ZA still does more than Windows FW. Sorry, I have to agree with
Lars-Erik here.. I have previously used Windows SP2 Firewall only and
still encountered problems with things getting in, odd programs accessing
the 'net, etc. Switching to ZA Pro solved all that and more. I know you
can never be 100% sure of stopping everything, but ZA sems to stop more than
WFW ever did...

I also like the fact that when setup correctly ZA lets you 'control' what
programs have internet access whereas Windows FW just lets them loose!!

Sorry, but what I've found from experience on our 3 computers, and with a
daughter that spends more time on the internet than she does talking to her
family!!!

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Avast or Zone Alarm using proxy server?
    ... "Gerald Vogt" wrote in message ... > your PFW is configured to allow outgoing web browser traffic. ... ZA still does more than Windows FW. ... programs have internet access whereas Windows FW just lets them loose!! ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: Avast or Zone Alarm using proxy server?
    ... "Gerald Vogt" wrote in message ... > your PFW is configured to allow outgoing web browser traffic. ... ZA still does more than Windows FW. ... programs have internet access whereas Windows FW just lets them loose!! ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Avast or Zone Alarm using proxy server?
    ... A PFW cannot do what ... SP2 firewall except annoying people with pop-ups that most people don't ... then you should not use Microsoft Windows. ... > gain access to the internet (yes, maybe not fool proof but still a lot more ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Avast or Zone Alarm using proxy server?
    ... A PFW cannot do what ... SP2 firewall except annoying people with pop-ups that most people don't ... then you should not use Microsoft Windows. ... > gain access to the internet (yes, maybe not fool proof but still a lot more ...
    (alt.computer.security)