Re: Update while you can...

From: Moe Trin (ibuprofin_at_painkiller.example.tld)
Date: 01/28/05

    Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 16:45:58 -0600

    In article <h83kv0h7qd3qfsf101ugbtakf25ebuuvj6@4ax.com>, Jim Watt wrote:
    >On 27 Jan 2005 22:45:15 EST, winged <winged@nofollow.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I am wondering why we aren't running the OS out of ROM now.
    >
    >it is on pda's

    One major problem is updates. Given the frequency of updates, that would
    get kind of expensive. Another problem _might_ be reliability. On the
    other hand, all of our publicly visible systems are now run from Read-Only
    media (CDRs) as a security precaution. Some of our servers are set to only
    serve data from CDs as well for the same reason. The disadvantage is that
    CDs are much slower than hard drives. We can get away with this because we're
    serving over the network, and intentionally bandwidth limit connections to
    five Megabits/second (about 2.3 minutes to read an entire CD - BFHD!!).

            Old guy

    • Re: may i ask the Ms folks; What Is UP ??
      ... machines being updated here, all were flawless. ... :i am sure whatever major problem MS is experiencing with MS Updates is well ... : Priority security package. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
    • Re: More on abandonment of telephone directories [telecom]
      ... The major problem with the online 'directory assistance' sites is ... that they are often months behind in updates. ... If someone would take on a directory assistance site that was updated ... Listings from ...
      (comp.dcom.telecom)
    • XP Update
      ... Due to a major problem with my computer I have had to re-install my XP but ... When I hit the button to look for updates a new ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded)
    • Panasonic SA-AK403 Problem, please help!
      ... I have a panasonic 5 cd stereo system and I have a major problem with ... When it plays cds it skips really horribly. ...
      (sci.electronics.repair)
    • Re: Do not turn off or unplug your computer; it will turn off automatically.
      ... You will most likely screw up one of the updates. ... That could be not a problem, or a major problem. ... Note that the warning states it will turn your computer off for you after it is done. ... Do not turn off or unplug your computer; ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)