Re: Update while you can...

From: Michael J. Pelletier (mjpelletier_at_mjpelletier.com)
Date: 01/27/05

Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 12:54:58 -0800

Nick Roberts wrote:

> "Michael J. Pelletier" <mjpelletier@mjpelletier.com> wrote:
>
>> I guess the question I have is this. Will this attempt by Microsoft help
>> or hurt the current virus and mail bot problems?
>
> My prediction would be that: (1) Microsoft will introduce policies that
> restrict access to security patches for pirate users; (2) the news media
> will get hold of the story and publish (air) a few classic scare stories;
> (3) Microsoft will react by rescinding the policies.

Maybe, but history has shown that Microsoft is quite stubborn and sometimes
ignorant...

> So, in other words, I don't think it's a very important issue.
>
> My nose (ever reliable) tells me that this issue will quickly get
> overtaken by others yet to emerge. For example, suppose a worm goes wild
> that exploits a weakness in Windows that is hard or impossible to
> retrospectively patch? It could cause pandemonium on a scale never yet
> experienced. My suspicion is that something like this will make other
> Windows security issues pale into insignificance in the not very distant
> future.

I can see that...

Michael

Relevant Pages

  • WPA2 support + Group Policy
    ... support for WPA2 to be defined in group policies in Windows XP SP2 ... Reading the Microsoft blub again, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.group_policy)
  • RE: Password Configuration
    ... You can configure password policy in the SBS Server Management Console. ... Policies" link to open Password Policies configuration page. ... Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support ... This newsgroup only focuses on SBS technical issues. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Update while you can...
    ... restrict access to security patches for pirate users; ... Microsoft will react by rescinding the policies. ... that something like this will make other Windows security issues pale into ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Non-programmers are getting Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2
    ... regard to Microsoft's newsgroup policies, of which I am keenly aware. ... Microsoft web site and read all about the MVP program. ... This was my way of saying that I believe in personal responsibility. ... You are entitled to your opinion. ...
    (microsoft.public.vstudio.general)
  • Re: Lost Product Key Code for Word
    ... to install Word. ... Microsoft at 360-7561, or, if outside the U.S., see this site: ... I had to reinstall windows on my> computer and when I went to instal word again I found that> I do not have the key code they require. ... It really bothers me that I> paid for Word and now I cannot use it because I threw away> a CD case I didn't think was important, only to learn that> MIcrosoft has changed their policies and you NEED to SAVE> all those little peices of paper. ...