Re: Update while you can...

From: Nick Roberts (nick.roberts_at_acm.org)
Date: 01/27/05

Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 18:23:11 +0000

"Michael J. Pelletier" <mjpelletier@mjpelletier.com> wrote:

> I guess the question I have is this. Will this attempt by Microsoft help
> or hurt the current virus and mail bot problems?

My prediction would be that: (1) Microsoft will introduce policies that
restrict access to security patches for pirate users; (2) the news media
will get hold of the story and publish (air) a few classic scare stories;
(3) Microsoft will react by rescinding the policies.

So, in other words, I don't think it's a very important issue.

My nose (ever reliable) tells me that this issue will quickly get overtaken
by others yet to emerge. For example, suppose a worm goes wild that exploits
a weakness in Windows that is hard or impossible to retrospectively patch?
It could cause pandemonium on a scale never yet experienced. My suspicion is
that something like this will make other Windows security issues pale into
insignificance in the not very distant future.

--
Nick Roberts

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Update while you can...
    ... Will this attempt by Microsoft help ... > restrict access to security patches for pirate users; ... > Microsoft will react by rescinding the policies. ... > Windows security issues pale into insignificance in the not very distant ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: How to get 3rd party AV software recognised with Win Security Cent
    ... Welcome to Microsoft Newsgroup Support service! ... Frequently asked questions about Windows Security Center ... tier is automatic through Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI). ...
    (microsoft.public.platformsdk.security)
  • [Full-Disclosure] Fw: Sasser internet worm spreading
    ... > ARE YOU RUNNING THE LATEST MICROSOFT SECURITY PATCHES? ... > as the Sasser worm infects internet users. ... > or the Sophos Anti-Virus Small Business Edition were ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: Non-Admin Installing Security Updates
    ... E.g. SUS supports this... ... 3rd party products further down) for security patches. ... Microsoft Software Update Services ... Here is a third party product that supports Win9x and WinME as well: ...
  • RE: after updating windows,the last program i installed are being
    ... issues related to security patches. ... Call your local Microsoft Subsidiary, or the number for paid support ... and ask for the free help with virus infections or security ... It is not the problem that happens with only Zune,but whenever it installs ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)