Re: Update while you can...

From: Nick Roberts (
Date: 01/27/05

Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 18:23:11 +0000

"Michael J. Pelletier" <> wrote:

> I guess the question I have is this. Will this attempt by Microsoft help
> or hurt the current virus and mail bot problems?

My prediction would be that: (1) Microsoft will introduce policies that
restrict access to security patches for pirate users; (2) the news media
will get hold of the story and publish (air) a few classic scare stories;
(3) Microsoft will react by rescinding the policies.

So, in other words, I don't think it's a very important issue.

My nose (ever reliable) tells me that this issue will quickly get overtaken
by others yet to emerge. For example, suppose a worm goes wild that exploits
a weakness in Windows that is hard or impossible to retrospectively patch?
It could cause pandemonium on a scale never yet experienced. My suspicion is
that something like this will make other Windows security issues pale into
insignificance in the not very distant future.

Nick Roberts