Re: Suggestions for cross-platform encryption?

From: Hairy One Kenobi (abuse_at_[127.0.0.1)
Date: 01/19/05

Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 00:39:19 GMT

"Shane Petroff" <shane@mayet.ca> wrote in message
news:9l2Gd.83224$6l.38528@pd7tw2no...
> Colin B. wrote:
> >
> > I'm surprised though, that this sort of tool isn't in massive constant
> > demand these days. Seems like an obvious need.
>
> It seems like these services should be available via existing tokens.
> The tokens themselves have very limited memory, but the onboard/tamper
> resistant processors are designed to sign external documents, and the
> vague marketing brochure I have suggests that the Aladdin eToken is
> capable of encrypting external files. Alas, I've never actually used
> one, so I can't say for sure what they are capable of.

Had a look at the old Java device in.. umm..maybe 1997.

It was supposed to set the world alight (according to the hype). Looks like
the world has turned out to be about 70% water (i.e. a bit soggy ;o)

I would truly hate to think how long such a weeny processor and slow bus
would take to encrypt anything - by all means, use it to supply a key to a
host-based algorithm, but that's not exactly what it's been designed to do.

Dunno about North America, but the Smartcard has pretty much superseded
these devices.

A bit of a shame, really, as these sort of tokens are significantly more
robust, physically.

H1K

Relevant Pages

  • Re: need an algo for string sorting
    ... I have to sort them. ... It really isn't a sorting problem, ... that, for example, "ax" is two tokens, but 'ai' is one token. ... you know the strings are unequal. ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: BBC BASIC: why cant a variable name begin with OFF?
    ... requirement of white-space between things - it means this sort of problem ... One of the great design features of BBC BASIC is the lack of ... the requirement of whitespace between things. ... Your example contains no tokens (in the 'byte value ...
    (comp.sys.acorn.programmer)
  • Re: How does TeX handle EOF ?
    ... I think I finaly got it, sort of. ... The fact that the \everyeof{\noexpand} neutralizes the EOF ... proves that EOF is inserted immediately after \everyeof tokens, ... The end of line character is ignored after tokenizing \empty ...
    (comp.text.tex)
  • Re: name that game
    ... bottom, I think you were on some sort of vehicle. ... something it would drop coins or maybe tokens of some sort which you ... Every once in while while the screen was scrolling down ...
    (alt.games.mame)