Re: ZoneAlarm blocks FTP apps

From: Adrian Pavone (a.pavone_at_optusnet.com.au)
Date: 01/17/05

Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 13:09:41 +0800

"Reader" <reader@reader.com> wrote in message
news:41eab93e@dnews.tpgi.com.au...
> I'd like to use FTP Explorer (www.ftpx.com) to upload files to my web
> site,
> however, ZoneAlarm blocks the connection. I have been shutting down ZA to
> allow FTPX to access the remote web server. Basically, ZA lets me
> actually
> log in to the remote web server (ie. name/pass are accepted) but then it
> prevents the remote file listing from showing in FTPX's pane. If I quit
> ZA,
> I can view the remote file list normally and upload/rename/etc. I tried a
> different FTP client (FTP Commander) with the same result: connect okay,
> but
> no file list unless I quit ZA. I'm running ZoneAlarm with Antivirus, the
> latest version (v5.5.062.004) and a "manual update" check says I have the
> latest version. I'm running Windows XP Pro + SP2, with the Windows
> Firewall
> disabled. Any ideas? As a side-note, I used to be able to use FTPX and
> ZA
> just fine in the past, but that was before I had XP -- and I'm not going
> drop XP just to gain FTP access. ;)

My guess as to what has happened in this case is that you have blocked a
different program from accessing the internet (because I assume you didn't
block FTPX from accessing). An example of this was when I couldn't receive
emails on this computer, it was because I had blocked Generic Host Process
from accessing the internet).

My recommendation would be to change all programs to ASK mode if they are on
BLOCK, and then try using the ftp program. This might just then ask you if
the critical process is allowed out to play.

Just something I thought might help,

Adrian.