Re: How share program Files folder on LAN?

From: jtsnow (jtsnow_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 01/16/05

Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 10:20:48 -0800

that was great input thankyou. My main PC on the home LAN is XP Pro. I
found the simple file sharing box in Pro and that was great to know I have
that capability. But the other PCs that I need to share are HOME....i
should have mentioned that. Ill try the same on them, but if there is a
different procedure I would appreciate know it.

Also, Im only doing his to be able to back up files from Remote PCs to my
main PC that has a external large HD for this purpose. And I do need to
back up those protected folders as my family puts stuff there that should be
restorable.

Ideally I would ahve liked to used Ghost 9.0 to make images over net but 9.0
wont image net files so Im using the WIndows provided backup utility

thanks again!
.

<nemo outis@erewhon.com (nemo outis)> wrote in message
> In article <3bxGd.11247$Tf5.360@lakeread03>, "jtsnow"
> <jtsnow@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>On my home LAN I cannot see the contents of the Program Files Folder on
>>other PCs.
>>On those PCs the entired "C" drive is set to share, yet that folder will
>>still not allow access.
>>When attempting to set share permission on that particular folder, the
>>option is shaded out and not available to make as share.
>>
>>Is there a way to set the sharing for ALL folders on the C drive? I am
>>the
>>admin on all PCs using XP.
>>
>>thanks for any tips
>>

> I'm going to guess that you are using XP Pro rather than home
> (otherwise it's a tad more difficult) and that you have "Use
> Simple File Sharing" enabled (it's the last item under Explore -
> Tools - Folder Options - View)
>
> Turn off the simple file sharing and you now have the full
> "permissions" model for security settings. To share the programs
> folder (or the windows folder, etc.) set the permissions so that
> the "everyone" group (which will be used in a bit for the "no
> hassle" peer to peer guest logon authentication mode) has at
> least read (and maybe write, etc.) permissions to that folder and
> all child folders (overriding the original permissions and
> inheritance). When you're done reenable simple file sharing.
>
> Assuming the root drive is shared (C: say) then you will now be
> able to get at the programs on the remote computer.
>
> However, that **doesn't** mean you will be able to run them - at
> least not cleanly.
>
> The minimum you should do is make accessible shortcuts (on either
> your computer or the remote one) which identify the program and
> the initial directory by UNC rather than drive (e.g.,
> \\computername\driveletterwithnocolon\directorypath rather than,
> say, C:\program files\someprogramdirectory\programfile)
>
> However, be warned that if the program has not been designed to
> be run over a network(and with the possibility of multiple
> simultaneous instances on multiple computers) then any number of
> "strange" side effects are possible or the program may just balk
> (e.g., if it cannot find a dll, registry entries, etc.).
>
> Backup of both machines before messing about would be a prudent
> precaution :-) ... at least until you get the feel of doing this
> sort of thing.
>
> Regards,

Relevant Pages

  • Re: cannot get xp machines to share files on peer to peer network
    ... check to see if Simple File Sharing (Control Panel - ... Folder Options - View - Advanced settings) is enabled or disabled. ... With XP Pro, ... With XP Pro, if SFS is disabled, check the Local Security Policy (Control Panel ...
  • Re: security tab in folder property
    ... Simple File Sharing cannot be disabled. ... you can get the Security tab by booting into Safe Mode and logging in on the built in Administrator account. ... Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro ... > use simple file sharing in folder options anymore. ...
  • Re: Not accessible on home network
    ... Since you say it is a new install of XP Pro, you need to check if it is ... Tools -- Folder Options ... Scroll to the bottom and uncheck "Use simple file sharing" ...
  • Re: My F#@!&$% Network Problem Possibly Solved
    ... I have XP Pro, but maybe I'm still not finding what you're ... I cannot find the word "Permissions" anywhere when I ... right-click on a shared folder. ... I didn't understand that you need to turn off simple file sharing ...
    (rec.audio.pro)
  • For Paul Baker re: printer only connects...
    ... thread that mentioned having to turn off 'simple file sharing' (a rather ... accounts to access the full device functionality at last, ... same time there were curious invitations to use a 'shared documents folder', ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax)