Re: Internet / Computer Secutity

From: sh4d03 (sh4d03_at_TPG.com.au)
Date: 01/10/05

    Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 18:20:25 +1100

    sh4d03 wrote:
> [...]
    >>> what would be best for me? Norton Security 2005 or Mcafee Security
    >>> 2005. I even noticed for a cheaper price ZoneAlarm do a full
    >>> security package? What as the general public, would you recommend?
    >>>
    >>> I want anti-spam, anti-virus, firewall and privacy control. Just
    >>> wonder what you would suggest.
    >>>
    >>> -tom
    >>>

    >> I think F-secure has a package, it,s far better than Norton, McAffe is
    >> better too. Norton sucks!
    >>

    > I'm sorry for people who hear me say this a lot but I totally agree with
    > Tom on Norton. I don't know if there's a brown paper bag full of cash
    > handed over to Computer magazines who do AV reviews, but Norton IMHO
    > should NOT receive the high respect it does. I'm a computer technician
    > who time after time will remove a completely updated, installed
    > correctly and running correctly version of Norton AV or even NIS and
    > install an Antivirus solution which we recommend (VET Anti-virus which
    > is the Australian distribution by Computer Associates) and VET will
    > instantly find about 10 viruses lurking on the computer that Norton was
    > completely happy with. Norton Firewall - pfft. If it blocks anything I
    > usually find it blocks EVERYTHING there's no happy medium. I'm not very
    > used to McAffee's solution so can't really comment. All I can say is you
    > MUST be better off with something other than Norton. I find Norton Ghost
    > and Norton Disk Doctor to be fantastic applications. As far as the
    > System Security etc Norton is about as effective as Solitaire.
    >
    > I'm personally a user of Firefox when using Windows (I prefer Linux/UNIX
    > but am an unoffical Windows Technician). VET Anti-virus keeps me well
    > out of trouble and I can find out if they ship to any other country
    > (haven't checked to see where you're from). I use AdAware SE, SpyBot SD
    > 1.3 and SpySweeper to remove SpyWare and SpyWareBlaster to help prevent
    > it from coming back again. I use Thunderbird for my Email and with some
    > simple filters set up with Thunderbird 1.0 I have no trouble with SPAM.
    >
    > All in all, my work can see VET for $66 first up and then Computer
    > Associates charge AUS$44 per 12 months to keep the application totally
    > up to date - that means engine, program, signatures, patches - the works.
    >
    > AdAware SE 1.05 Personal is free
    >
    > SpySweeper I can't remember what the cost is but it's not too bad
    >
    > SpyBot SD 1.3 is free
    >
    > SpyWareBlaster is free
    >
    > Firefox is free
    >
    > Thunderbird is free.
    >
    > VET Antivirus does a sterling job of cleaning incoming Emails and is
    > constantly doing background scans which are NOT as resource intensive as
    > that of Norton, McAffee or ZoneAlarm.
    >
    > Long story short, IMHO steer well clear of NIS _AND_ NAV as neither are
    > worth the effort.
    >
    > If you want more information on anything I've said please feel free to
    > follow the instructions below _carefully_ to contact me.

    My apologies, I mis-read and it was infact Robsten who spoke the truth
    of Norton.

    Sh4d03

    --
    If you require more assistance or if my suggestion works please E-mail me at
    sh4d03 [at] TPG [dot] com [dot] au. Additionally, if you are able to provide

    • Re: Internet / Computer Secutity
      ... >> I am coming to the end of my subscription with Norton Security 2004. ... Norton Security 2005 or Mcafee Security ... is the Australian distribution by Computer Associates) and VET will ... VET Antivirus does a sterling job of cleaning incoming Emails and is ...
      (alt.computer.security)
    • Re: which anti-virus to use
      ... > windows XP Pro. ... Some say VET, some Norton. ...
      (microsoft.public.security.virus)
    • Re: which anti-virus to use
      ... > windows XP Pro. ... Some say VET, some Norton. ...
      (microsoft.public.security.virus)
    • The dreaded 800C00005 Error
      ... firewall and i dont use Norton. ... I use VET instead. ... have a server system set up. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
    • Re: Virus problems
      ... I use Outlook for friends and relatives only. ... I get tons of spam emails in OE ... | a) Norton 2006 and no firewall. ... | I just used Live Update twice and got these two messages. ...
      (alt.comp.anti-virus)