Suggestions for cross-platform encryption?

From: Colin B. (cbigam_at_somewhereelse.nucleus.com)
Date: 01/07/05

    Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 21:19:20 GMT

    Hey folks;

    I've just picked up a USB flashdrive, and want to keep some fairly sensitive
    stuff on it (passwords, etc.) encrypted. However, I'm almost constantly
    moving between machines and platforms, and generally can't install software
    on them. What I would like is a symmetric encryption utility that is:

    a) cross-platform (Solaris, Windows, Linux, Mac OSX)
    b) Standalone (don't need to install a package on each machine)
    c) Small (binaries for all the platforms don't take up the majority of
       my drive space!)
    d) Free (ideally)
    e) Relatively secure (better than Unix 'crypt,' for a start)

    Is there anything that meets all of these requirements? PGP would work,
    but packages and libraries run well over 10MB for each platform, and I'm
    not sure if it works without being locally installed. (Not to mention that
    it's massive overkill for what I want.)

    Thanks!
    Colin

    • Re: Suse Linux 9.1 Personal Problem. Please Help
      ... Windows XP for example cannot play encrypted CD's "out of the box". ... A few years back people were able to crack the encryption meaning that ... The first thing to install are the Windows codecs. ... The package for SSUE ...
      (alt.os.linux.suse)
    • Re: Suggestions for cross-platform encryption?
      ... > moving between machines and platforms, and generally can't install ... What I would like is a symmetric encryption utility that is: ... the opinions expressed in this opinion do not necessarily ...
      (alt.computer.security)
    • Re: Developing software to be installed across multiple platforms
      ... Most platforms don't have a good GTK support, in some you are more or less locked to the default GUI. ... all these desktop enviroments where I can install in the start menu? ... Those that share the same package system has somewhat similar look on where and how things should be installed, but this isn't 100% true, there are differences. ...
      (alt.linux)
    • Re: eclipse-pydev: New upstream release 1.3.13 avaible
      ... where the idea of having a "general" apt package tree having most if not ... way of allowing users to quickly install perl modules like they would on ... every other operating system not necessarily .deb based - using CPAN ... everything for many platforms, and they don't interfere with each other. ...
      (Ubuntu)
    • Re: FTP Encryption
      ... RFC4217 "Securing FTP with TLS" could be considered a standard for data ... encryption for FTP. ... platforms. ... install a client side app on their servers... ...
      (comp.security.ssh)