Re: note book help plz

From: sh4d03 (sh4d03_at_TPG.com.au)
Date: 01/07/05

Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 17:46:40 +1100

~ OTH ~ wrote:
> hi all, my friend bought a hp omnibook, p2 400, 4100 series, for her son for
> school.
> well the operating system is 982nd, but full of major crap, so he did fdisk,
> then reformatted it. so good so far, but now we cant get it to boot to the
> cd rom, seams like the floppy and cd rom arnt hot swappable, and the bios
> has a pass word on it, so we cant get in the bios to do a boot to cd
> command, all tho i can tap the esc key at start up, and get to the boot up
> device screen, but i guess i dont have the cd rom drivers in c:
> i copied the fdisk files to c: , trying to get it to boot to c: with the cd
> rom in, so i can change to cd and run setup.
> im having no luck here,
> can someone give me some light here, smile.
> thanks in advance all.
> ~ mark ~

You could try finding the BIOS reset switch INSIDE the laptop - risky if
you don't know your way around - or alternatively you could make a
Windows Boot Disk using another Windows 98 machine and insert that into
the floppy drive. That will install the CD Drivers and allow you to
access your install CD and carry on from there.

To create a boot disk go to add/remove programs and the option is in there.

Sh4d03

--
If you require more assistance or if my suggestion works please E-mail me at
sh4d03 [at] TPG [dot] com [dot] au. Additionally, if you are able to provide

Relevant Pages

  • Re: BIOS startup ??
    ... BIOS is loaded from CMOS into RAM memory? ... The boot process ... Computer initialization is a process - not en event. ... always a jump command followed by the actual BIOS ROM ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: unable to install XP on new HD
    ... yes I have made sure that CD ROM is the 1st option, ... and have exited BIOS saving the changes, I get prompted to press any key to ... boot from CD ROM and I do press the any key right after I am prompted. ... restart and see if>> the installation continues. ...
  • Re: osx on windows based pcs
    ... I tried to reinstall win xp booting from the cd rom. ... I tried resetting the bios to their default config's and got the same ... Seems to me that I have established that both my win xp boot cd and cd ... The boot sector on the hard drive is screwed. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: CD DVD Problem
    ... If you go into BIOS settings you can change that to boot to hard drive first. ... I replaced an old IDE cd rom with a new SATA DVD rom. ...
  • Re: faking computer fan RPM signals
    ... Hitting F10 at boot time ... > The program that runs first is called a bootloader, not a BIOS. ... > A bootloader can be in Flash, ROM, RAM, core, or even hardware. ...
    (sci.electronics.design)