Re: Recover drive from single pass wipe

From: Vanguard (see_signature)
Date: 01/06/05

Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 14:11:20 -0600

"San Diego Guy" <sandiegguy@*remove*yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:WKgDd.14818$yW5.4475@fed1read02...
> Well.. don't know if this is the right group for this, but here it
> goes.
>
> I was wiping some PCs at work with Active@ Killdisk.. the free version
> lets you do a single pass disk wipe.
>
> Now it turns out that one of the wiped PCs is still needed by some
> users and I need to restore it. I'd like to restore the entire drive,
> but at least some of the data on it.
>
> I've tried several freeware utilities, but none of then can find the
> partition to work with and allow me to recover data.
>
> Could someone let me know of a good utility that can recover data from
> a single pass wipe?
>
> The drive had one partition that was formatted with NTFS.
> Killdisk does a single pass wipe, writing all 0s.
>
> Thanks a lot for any info!

I'm pretty sure that even the single pass wipe will still write LOTS of
varying patterns to the each sector. The data is gone unless you want
to send it to Ontrack to use their electron microscopes to see how they
might be able to retrieve. Very expensive.

If this data was really crucial then why wasn't it backed up? Anyone
that doesn't backup their data has decided that their data is
replaceable or discardable. That was their choice, not yours.

Post your replies to the newsgroup.  Share with others.
E-mail:  vanguard_help AT yahoo.com  (append "#NEWS#" to Subject)

  • Recover drive from single pass wipe
    ... I was wiping some PCs at work with Active@ Killdisk.. ... lets you do a single pass disk wipe. ... partition to work with and allow me to recover data. ... Killdisk does a single pass wipe, ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Recover drive from single pass wipe
    ... > I was wiping some PCs at work with Active@ Killdisk.. ... > lets you do a single pass disk wipe. ... > partition to work with and allow me to recover data. ... > The drive had one partition that was formatted with NTFS. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: clearing hard drive
    ... It will not only wipe out the unused file ... deleting, simply right click on any files or directory and it adds 'erase' ... Use a Windows 98SE or WindowsMe Startup Disk ... > existing partition then create a new ...
  • Re: WIN XP SP2
    ... >Is it possible to wipe out just the Windows directory and reinstall XP ... >partition it to install the XP Program. ... >scandisk and then reload from the beginning. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: SBS 2003 R2 BSOD
    ... I would have to wipe the drive, and yes, imaging is an option. ... parition and install install SBS in a small partition. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)