Re: A question on "Enable third-party browser extensions"

From: donnie (donnie_at_queyosepa.org)
Date: 01/05/05

Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 00:54:13 GMT

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 18:41:52 GMT, "tvfun" <tvfun@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>I repeated the process and it happened again. Some piece of spyware must be
>doing this on bootup.
##############################
Here are the steps I would take if that were my machine.
1) Go through the registry.
HKLM,Software,Microsoft, Windows, CurrentVersion, Run
HKCU same path
Delete any values that could be spyware/trojan. If you're not sure
search the entry on google. Whatever that thing is that keeps
reproducing is in the registry somewhere. The registry has a search
tool just like the OS does.
2) Disable ActiveX, javascript and active scripting in IE.
3) Uncheck anything that's not needed in msconfig. Whatever keeps
coming back is probably started in the registry
4) Look for unwanted entries in autoexecnt.bat, config.sys, win.ini
and any other system file that may have a conection.
5) If you insist on using norton, make sure that you update the dat
files first. I'm assume you know how to do that. If not just say so.
donnie.