Re: A question on "Enable third-party browser extensions"

From: donnie (donnie_at_queyosepa.org)
Date: 01/05/05

Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 00:54:13 GMT

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 18:41:52 GMT, "tvfun" <tvfun@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>I repeated the process and it happened again. Some piece of spyware must be
>doing this on bootup.
##############################
Here are the steps I would take if that were my machine.
1) Go through the registry.
HKLM,Software,Microsoft, Windows, CurrentVersion, Run
HKCU same path
Delete any values that could be spyware/trojan. If you're not sure
search the entry on google. Whatever that thing is that keeps
reproducing is in the registry somewhere. The registry has a search
tool just like the OS does.
2) Disable ActiveX, javascript and active scripting in IE.
3) Uncheck anything that's not needed in msconfig. Whatever keeps
coming back is probably started in the registry
4) Look for unwanted entries in autoexecnt.bat, config.sys, win.ini
and any other system file that may have a conection.
5) If you insist on using norton, make sure that you update the dat
files first. I'm assume you know how to do that. If not just say so.
donnie.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: How to specify the HIVE filesystem?
    ... Flash storage and some more persistent storages. ... full path in the "SystemHive" registry key. ... >; Various Flags ... > In my experiments I saw the possibility to have a RAM system file and, ...
  • Re: Error Message: System has reached the maximum size allowed for
    ... My System file 114,688KB. ... >>The following error message has started popping up on my new PC that has ... >>registry. ... > what caused it or how to fix it. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Win XP Home wont boot
    ... system file from the systemroot\repair directory. ... This file is a registry file and is machine specific. ... >>You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: hw6515 - INOP Wifi
    ... It sounds as if a system file has been corrupted, or a registry value has been corrupted. ... From your post you know the cards are good. ... Leaving either a change in system software or corruption of some kind. ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless)
  • RE: Editing the Registry
    ... It's important to realize that the HKEY_CURRENT_USER key (RegistryHive.CurrentUser) is not a real registry key. ... For the purposes of this email, I'm going to use HKCU to mean HKEY_CURRENT_USER and HKU ... which tells me that you're trying to target a remote machine. ... Load a User Profile into the Registry with Visual Basic ...