Re: Encase 4.20 (the premier computer forensics tool) Posted

From: nemo outis (outis_at_erewhon.com)
Date: 12/12/04

Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 21:28:29 GMT

In article
<MPG.1c2676d98492fc25989c65@news-server.columbus.rr.com>, Leythos
<void@nowhere.org> wrote:
>In article <Pt_ud.6665465$6p.1046847@news.easynews.com>, Bester@EAB5.com
>says...
>> Is someone unfit for any elected office or an important job
>> just because once, 15 eyars ago, they asked for advice about suicidal
>> thoughts? Or mentionned a sexual fantasy? Or held a political
>> opinion which was a minority view?
>
>And just what does that have to do with wiping your tracks on the
>computer? Nothing!
>
>Just face it, nothing you do on-line is going to be private once it
>leaves your LAN, and there is nothing you can do about it.

Given that privacy has been virtually eliminated, constitutional
protections against search and seizure have been eroded,
frivolous lawsuits are rampant, identity theft and spyware
probing are rife, and the not-so-gradual drift towards both
pre-fascism and litigiousness, it is a matter of elementary
prudence to ensure that our data is not accessible to snoops of
all kinds, official and otherwise.

While I recommend full OTF encryption of HDs as the better
approach, scrubbing is another workable approach to these
problems.

Nor need the likelihood of the problems be high to jsutify taking
action. Although the chance of my house burning down is small, I
still carry fire insurance. In short, prudence is not paranoia.

Regards,

Relevant Pages