Re: russian e mails?

From: winged (winged_at_nofollow.com)
Date: 12/12/04

Date: 12 Dec 2004 11:03:24 EST

Lu Tze wrote:
> Christo wrote:
>
>> "Michael J. Pelletier" <mjpelletier@mjpelletier.com> wrote in message

>>> Can you restate that last paragraph? A couple of suggestions I would
>>> give
>>> you, espically is you are using outlook/outlook express. DO NOT VIEW
>>> emails
>>> in HTML!
>>>
>>> -- Michael
>>

>> sorry i meant in outlook, in order to delete an e mail, i first must
>> click on it, which in turn opens the e mail in the preview pane
>>
>> is this a security risk when receiving e mails with viewing potential
>> email viruses etc.
>>
>> I am now running in plain text mode due to your advice
>>
>> however i am still a bit concerned about the way outlook express views
>> e mails, with the preview pain etc. is there no way of disabling
>> automatic opening of a message when clicking on it, i have found such
>> an option, however this only works when reading news through OE
>>
>> would you reccomend another mail program?
>>
>> opera's mail program for instance? which i dont have much knowledge on
>> but i do use opera and do know that there is a mail/news function
>> within it.
>>
>> Thanks for the advice
>>
>> chris
>>
> Under "view" on the toolbar, is there not a way to disable the preview
> pane.

View/Layout menu and un-check Message Pane (checked by default).

That said, the danger of the preview pane is not on the same order of
magnitude as the danger of the IE preview pane. Java script will not
run by default in the preview pane and ActiveX is non-existent. To get
scripts to run you must save the message to disk, then open the message
in the browser, or turn on the JS option (under Tools/Options/Advanced
menu unchecked by default(NOT RECOMMENDED)). You can also modify the
preview pane to allow original HTML, simple HTML, or plain text. I
recommend not displaying remote images if you choose one of the HTML modes.

Additional modifications to the UI can be made by creating a
usercrome.css file. The config files can contol many of the
functionalities of the client program to add or remove features from the
client. From there you can add or delete items from menus etc. You can
add/changedelte almost any feature of the user API. This requires some
programming skills that should not be attempted by the novice user,
unless they are willing to spend the time required to learn. The
program is open source so one may make local changes to the client to do
just about anything one understands how to program.

Hope this helps.

Winged

Relevant Pages

  • Re: russian e mails?
    ... > sorry i meant in outlook, in order to delete an e mail, i first must click ... > I am now running in plain text mode due to your advice ... > would you reccomend another mail program? ... is there not a way to disable the preview pane. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: outlook express
    ... thank you very much pa bear. ... your advice on how to get ... >> i have lost my contacts pane in outlook express. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: russian e mails?
    ... >> these aren't any threat, because in Outlook express, to delete the e mail ... >> it must open it when u click on it it opens in the pane below? ... I am now running in plain text mode due to your advice ... would you reccomend another mail program? ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Default E-mail program
    ... current mail program cannot fulfill the request. ... Outlook and set it as the default mail client. ... "Jim Pickering" wrote: ... Excel, Front Page, Publisher, Internet Explorer, etc. ...
  • Re: Evault custom form & preview pane code
    ... Set that bit on a regular message – no preview pane. ... Remove that bit from a message that has a one-off form and a script – Outlook ... Eric Legault (Outlook MVP, MCDBA, MCTS: ... Basically Enterprise vault works by trawling your mailbox, ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook.program_vba)