Re: Encase 4.20 (the premier computer forensics tool) Posted

From: nemo outis (outis_at_erewhon.com)
Date: 12/12/04

Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 00:33:53 GMT

In article <cpg30n$f0s@dispatch.concentric.net>, winged <winged@nofollow.com> wrote:
>Sigh, I must live a totally unexciting life, I have no data in my life I
>must so utterly destroy. At least none I would put on an exposed
>computer....Never tell where the body is buried....
>
>Cover my browsing tracks? From who? If you are on a network the network
>sys admin can log or recover, and possibly replicate all IP activity,
>and usually decipher the activity that was occurring. Shucks we can go
>back a year and look at traffic. If it's your wife, she prolly doesn't
>even know how to undelete a file, if it's from the police, there is an
>electron microscope scanner that makes "any" amount of erasure/overwrite
>a mute point, if they want the data bad enough, but they would probably
>just ask your ISP for the records they are required by law to keep. If
>sufficiently warranted they would place a sniffer in the pipe and record
>replicate and possible view all network activity (The Patriot act makes
>even a search warrant unneeded). Shucks, it would raise flags that I
>had a user who needed this capability and I would just put a hidden
>process key logger on the system and they could erase things all day
>long. Lamplight the system and it wouldn't matter much what the user
>"did" to hide tracks (except totally destroying the HDD).
>
>So I have to ask a silly question; What does this total analization of
>browser tracks do? Why on earth does one need it? I am really curious.
>
>Winged

It's 1935. I live in Germany, a civilized country in the heart
of Europe, which is at peace. Why should I, a Jew, worry about
entering my religion on the census form? After all, my privacy
is guaranteed.

Regards,

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Encase 4.20 (the premier computer forensics tool) Posted
    ... >Sigh, I must live a totally unexciting life, I have no data in my life I ... If you are on a network the network ... >replicate and possible view all network activity (The Patriot act makes ... Shucks, it would raise flags that I ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Encase 4.20 (the premier computer forensics tool) Posted
    ... Sigh, I must live a totally unexciting life, I have no data in my life I ... must so utterly destroy. ... If you are on a network the network ... Shucks, it would raise flags that I ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Encase 4.20 (the premier computer forensics tool) Posted
    ... >Sigh, I must live a totally unexciting life, I have no data in my life I ... If you are on a network the network ... Why on earth are you reading the alt.privacy newsgroup? ... Why bother reading something you have totally no use for? ...
    (alt.computer.security)