Re: Can't open hosts file on xp!

From: winged (winged_at_nofollow.com)
Date: 12/09/04

    Date: 08 Dec 2004 22:48:56 EST

    I thought that was you, we talked before, I am the guy 3 below you on
    the team page...lol i gotz some catching to do I might make 15K units by
    then. Funny how strange minds work..lol
    Winged

    David H. Lipman wrote:
    > Yes still a SETI phan... as of right now...
    >
    > 19448 WUs
    > 5.569 years processing WUs
    >
    > I hope to make 20K by Jan 1, 05. :-)
    > I did not go BOINC
    >
    > As for the upgrade from one OS to WinXP, it is always best to do a clean install with *any*
    > Windows OS.
    > When it is time to install the OS all you have to do is point the installation at a CDROM of
    > the previous OS if you buy an Upgrade version.
    >
    > Dave
    >

    > "winged" <winged@nofollow.com> wrote in message news:cp8aqi$46a@dispatch.concentric.net...
    > | We have installed XP on excess of 1000 systems to include SP2. It works,
    > | now if we could get the rest of the security issues fixed....Software is
    > | one issue, compatible hardware is another. There is a number of
    > | hardware items that just won't work under XP. There are a number of
    > | legitimate reasons for this. Additionally I have seen a number of
    > | people just try to "upgrade" to XP. The best method to install XP is on
    > | a clean (wiped system)
    > |
    > | Dave, you still processing SETI? ;-)
    > |
    > | Winged
    > |

    > | David H. Lipman wrote:
    > | > Software that's not compatible like older versions of NAV. Incompatibility with a with
    > | > Service Pack is nothing new. 50 apps. is more than in previous SP's but I would not use
    > | > broad statement such as "...There have been a lot of problems w/ sp2 so I've heard.".
    > | >
    > | > A statement like "some have had problems..." is more apropos and has been the case of
    > Win2K
    > | > SP1 ~ SP4 and WinXP SP1.
    > | >
    > | > Dave

    • Re: KB2656351 Net Framework Update Problem
      ... David H. Lipman typed: ... reboot when I go to the MS update page it is showing ... I did not receive a message that the install failed. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: Cant open hosts file on xp!
      ... Yes still a SETI phan... ... years processing WUs ... As for the upgrade from one OS to WinXP, it is always best to do a clean install with *any* ...
      (alt.computer.security)
    • Re: MBAM IP-BLOCK
      ... David H. Lipman wrote: ... install and it has a EULA that covers the actions it takes then it is not ... malwware. ...
      (alt.comp.anti-virus)
    • Re: Cant open hosts file on xp!
      ... now if we could get the rest of the security issues fixed....Software is ... one issue, compatible hardware is another. ... The best method to install XP is on ... Dave, you still processing SETI? ...
      (alt.computer.security)
    • Re: Trojan bifrose removal?
      ... "David H. Lipman" wrote: ... A better solution was to install XP on a FAT-32 partition. ...
      (alt.comp.anti-virus)