Re: Can't open hosts file on xp!

From: winged (winged_at_nofollow.com)
Date: 12/09/04

Date: 08 Dec 2004 20:46:58 EST

We have installed XP on excess of 1000 systems to include SP2. It works,
now if we could get the rest of the security issues fixed....Software is
one issue, compatible hardware is another. There is a number of
hardware items that just won't work under XP. There are a number of
legitimate reasons for this. Additionally I have seen a number of
people just try to "upgrade" to XP. The best method to install XP is on
a clean (wiped system)

Dave, you still processing SETI? ;-)

Winged

David H. Lipman wrote:
> Software that's not compatible like older versions of NAV. Incompatibility with a with a
> Service Pack is nothing new. 50 apps. is more than in previous SP's but I would not use a
> broad statement such as "...There have been a lot of problems w/ sp2 so I've heard.".
>
> A statement like "some have had problems..." is more apropos and has been the case of Win2K
> SP1 ~ SP4 and WinXP SP1.
>
> Dave
>

> "donnie" <donnie@queyosepa.net> wrote in message
> | On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 01:33:49 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
> | <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
> |
> | >You have heard mis-information. When SP2 is installed on a malware clean PC. It works
> just
> | >fine. When it is installed on a PC with malware then there are troubles. Those who have
> | >troubles are just more vocal than those (like myself) that haven't experienced *any*
> | >problems.
> | >
> | >I have it installed on numerous platforms and varying models from Dell, IBM, Sony,
> Gateway,
> | >etc...
> | >
> | >Dave
> | ##############################
> | http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-5311280.html
> |
> | Security Windows XP Microsoft Corp
> | "Microsoft has issued a list of nearly 50 software applications and
> | games that may encounter problems with its Windows XP Service Pack 2
> | update."
> |
> | Then where does all that come from?
> | donnie

Relevant Pages

  • Installing a .net Word add-on
    ... Is there any info somewhere telling me what I need to do to install a ... There is all this new security stuff with ... .NET not to mention getting the template and dll files in the right ... thanks - dave ...
    (microsoft.public.office.developer.office.sdks)
  • The Big Ol Ubuntu Security Resource
    ... but its default install has flaws. ... are the mods you need to make to protect your system. ... If you've recently switched from Windows to the Linux distribution Ubuntu, ... IT Security has prepared a guide to help you ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • The Big Ol Ubuntu Security Resource
    ... but its default install has flaws. ... are the mods you need to make to protect your system. ... If you've recently switched from Windows to the Linux distribution Ubuntu, ... IT Security has prepared a guide to help you ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Critical Alert Update - W32.Slammer
    ... PSS Security Response Team Alert - Update: ... SP2, and Microsoft SQL Desktop Engine Version (MSDE) 2000 RTM, Microsoft SQL ... and all applications that install Microsoft SQL Desktop ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • Critical Alert Update - W32.Slammer
    ... PSS Security Response Team Alert - Update: ... SP2, and Microsoft SQL Desktop Engine Version (MSDE) 2000 RTM, Microsoft SQL ... and all applications that install Microsoft SQL Desktop ...
    (microsoft.public.security)