Re: blank email in OE

From: David Postill (david_at_postill.org.uk)
Date: 12/06/04

Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 07:00:23 GMT

In article <PBIsd.102908$IQ.49687@bignews6.bellsouth.net>, on Sun, 5 Dec 2004 12:40:48 -0600, "RB"
<rbig@bellsouth.nospam.net> wrote:

| Here's the header on the only one I have in my pc right now. It is shorter
| than many, and doesn't show a "TO:" email address in there:

| Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2004 10:37:22 -0500

I've had similar mails and assumed they were sent by spammers who were
even more stupid than normal and unable to configure their spamware properly.

No subject, and no contents. How do they expect anyone to contact them?

Your address would have been in a "Bcc:" header (probably together with
many other spammer victims email addresses). This gets removed during the mail
routing by the sending server so you don't see everyone elses email addresses.

Some isp mailer servers will add an extra header called something like
"X-Envelope-To:" which will then show what email address actually recieved
the mail and will correspond your email address portion of the "Bcc:" header.

<davidp />

--
David Postill

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Lost addresses
    ... use the View -> Message header menu to show it. ... If you Bcc a lot, you might want to add the Bcc field to the listing ... In the Sent Items folder, ... The SMTP server should never see and never include the ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook)
  • Re: Outlook 2003 Gripes
    ... I was talking about BCC: in the preview pane. ... Outlook was used in a corporate environment where most users don't need ... there is no header to view. ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook)
  • Re: Outlook 2003 Gripes
    ... I was talking about BCC: in the preview pane. ... Outlook was used in a corporate environment where most users don't need ... there is no header to view. ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook.installation)
  • Re: Outlook 2003 Gripes
    ... I was talking about BCC: in the preview pane. ... Outlook was used in a corporate environment where most users don't need ... there is no header to view. ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook.general)
  • Re: Bcc
    ... your "newsletters" and it is inserting the Bcc header. ... The mail server cannot do anything about a client program ... The list of recipients specified by ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook.general)