Re: FTP and SSH access question

From: Darren Tucker (dtucker_at_dodgy.net.au)
Date: 11/30/04

Date: 30 Nov 2004 20:35:38 GMT

In article <f6b96d9f.0411301200.3696a33b@posting.google.com>,
c3dy8911r <c3dy8911r@yahoo.com> wrote:
>I am working on a RedHat 9 machine remotely (in a lab environment),
>trying to access a file owned by root (permissions: -r--------) on the
>remote machine. I have root FTP access (upstream) but only user-level
>access via SSH.
>
>The FTP data port (20) is closed, so I can't get the file with FTP. I
>can't use SSH (or SCP) to view/download the file, because root is
>disabled from connecting to SSH (even locally).

FTP in as root and chmod the file so your user account can read it, then
scp it then chmod it back.

Depending on your firewall rules, FTP passive mode might work too.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: root access denied via SSH
    ... After adding this user and modifying it to have root ... When you say users have lost access only via ssh, ... for FTP access and never SSH access. ...
    (comp.unix.questions)
  • Re: able to login as root via ssh :-(
    ... in as root, and I don't recall changing that setting. ... Of course they are different programs (ftp server/ssh ... sort of implies that ssh to root directly won't work. ... changing port numbers is little more than leaving the door key under the flower pot instead of under the mat. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: able to login as root via ssh :-(
    ... in as root, and I don't recall changing that setting. ... Of course they are different programs (ftp server/ssh ... sort of implies that ssh to root directly won't work. ... at least that little door is closed now. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: FTP and SSH file access question
    ... I have root FTP access but only user-level ... > access via SSH. ... > The FTP data port is closed, so I can't get the file with FTP. ...
    (alt.linux)
  • Re: ftp to webserver - not as root
    ... >> I'm learning to set up a server via remote. ... We set it up so that root cannot ftp or ssh in. ...
    (Debian-User)