AIM "privacy" issue

From: Clay Denski (
Date: 11/10/04

Date: 9 Nov 2004 15:37:37 -0800

I have a question for those of you who use AIM (Aol instant
messenger). I use it at work, for work. My boss uses it too, as do
others. PRoblem is, whenever I get up to use the bathroom, I lock my
computer (ctrl-alt-del then lock) so nobody gets in and plays pranks,
but when I do that, AIM pops up on my bosses computer the message
"Clay is Away". He doesn't have his messenger set up to NOT show
those notifications. When I get back from using the bathroom, or
whatever, it sends out another popup. This seems to me a privacy
problem. Locking my keyboard should NOT force a broadcast of "I'm
away". Yet there is no setting I can find in AIM to turn that off.

Is there another IM I should use that would still be AIM compatible?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Darned AOL
    ... If that doesn't work, try calling AOL tech support, the should know how to ... > AIM does not start with Windows, only when I run OE, so the MSConfig route ... apparently you have to disable AIM as your default messenger. ... >>> sharp stick. ...
  • Re: importing contacts from AIM?
    ... You can only have the IM contacts from *either* Messenger or AOL, ... in AIM under Sign On/Off and check "Make AIM my default instant messaging ... To have Messenger contacts display, the option in OE is under ...
  • Re: PC to iMac video chat
    ... Using AIM on your side and iChat on the Mac should work, although connectivity can sometimes ... Skypeas has both Mac and PC versions that are compatible with one another. ... Microsoft MVP - Windows Messenger/MSN Messenger/Windows Live Messenger ...
  • Re: Instant Messaging
    ... You might try clicking MY AIM on the little buddy window of AOL Instant ... Messenger and slide down to EDIT OPTIONS and then click Edit Preferences, ... instant messaging program" is NOT ticked and hit APPLY and OK. ... > Automatically log on to Windows Messenger unticked. ...
  • Re: AOL IM is affecting Outlooks performance
    ... will say automatically log into windows messenger. ... Uncheck this. ... They only address Windows Instant ... Also, AIM opens ...