Re: How do I know my Virus scanner is working?

From: Rodney Kelp (Rodneykelp605_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 11/06/04

Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2004 14:34:53 -0500

I think AVG is no longer free. They have a 30 day trial then you have to
buy. There is another German virus program called AntiVir that is still
free.

"Leythos" <void@nowhere.org> wrote in message
> In article <Vz8jd.16090$As5.12350@tornado.tampabay.rr.com>,
> yr@tampabay.rr.com says...
> > Hello. I have a feeling my virus scanner (Mcafee Virus scan 8.0) isn't
> > working. Everything is loaded and working fine, but I download a virus
off a
> > newsgroup and when I scanned, it didn't pick it up. I have everything
> > updated and haven't made any changes to my system. Is there a site like
> > Shields UP that will test your Virus protection?? Thanks!
>
> I've found that McAfee does little to protect systems. If you didn't
> register on-line with them, then you're not updated properly.
>
> You might want to try AVG free version, or get Norton Antivirus 2005.
>
> --
> --
> spamfree999@rrohio.com
> (Remove 999 to reply to me)

---

  • Re: Trojan horse Downloader.Generic.ML
    ... I would also download and run HiJackThis and post your results to one ... 'restore as' in AVG continues to hang. ... >> AVG 718 06.14.2005 no virus found ... >>> Yes but then there's that sudden detection that appears NOT to>>> correspond to any event related to that theory. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Trojan horse Downloader.Generic.ML
    ... I would also download and run HiJackThis and post your results to one ... 'restore as' in AVG continues to hang. ... >> AVG 718 06.14.2005 no virus found ... >>> Yes but then there's that sudden detection that appears NOT to>>> correspond to any event related to that theory. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Trojan horse Downloader.Generic.ML
    ... Hi Ron - No, if you've already let A2 clean things, then ... But of course running this and using the HiJackThis ... At www.virustotal.com the AVG was the day's before AVG ... AVG 718 06.14.2005 no virus found ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Trojan horse Downloader.Generic.ML
    ... Hi Ron - No, if you've already let A2 clean things, then ... But of course running this and using the HiJackThis ... At www.virustotal.com the AVG was the day's before AVG ... AVG 718 06.14.2005 no virus found ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Norton 2005
    ... Norton's bad press is by people who machines were screwed by norton's products, not it's virus catching behaviour. ... I only look up viruses at Norton's site as they seem to know the most about viruses. ... A Install a Norton product. ... > AVG is free for home use, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)