Re: Ports 135 & 445

From: KHaled (me_at_localhost.home)
Date: 10/25/04

Date: 25 Oct 2004 14:53:17 GMT

"methanol" <> wrote in

> When I do a netstat -an these ports are always listening, I
> have a firewall blocking all lower ports but I was
> wondering how I could close them all together, or what
> programmes are using these ports?
> Regards,
> Chris B.

I have a program (SafeXP) which "hardens" my win2k, and as
part of this it shuts down port 445. However, when I tried
to do a windows update I found that there was a problem with
network connectivity, so backtracking I re-enabled port 445,
and all went well. So, for some reason windows update needs
this port, which is fine, now I open/shut the port as I need.
No other program seems to complain about this.

Relevant Pages

  • InfraRed port stops working after Windows Update on May 7 2004.
    ... Before Windows Update, I was able to use the IR port to connect my ... I've tried re-installing the SMC IrCC driver, ...
  • Re: Possible Fix For 0x8024502D
    ... As for ports: 443 is needed for the secure connection, ... This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, ... > A solution i've found is to add the windows update site to the firewall ...
  • RE: Automatic Windows Update
    ... I understand that the SBS server can not ... Create a destination set for Windows Update domains ... the updates from Windows Update web sites, ... Please double-check whether it is using 442 port. ...
  • Re: Communication with Windows Update
    ... DMZ needs both port 80 and 443 enabled for both incoming and outgoing ... > Which TCP/UDP ports does Windows Update use to communicate in addition to ... > I have some servers in a DMZ that only have HTTP access outside. ...
  • Windows Update: What TCP port is used to get updates
    ... Problem Resolved: Opened up port 443. ... I restrict what ports the ... >When I go to the Windows Update site and try to get the ...