Re: Firewall ???

From: prettygirl (noonehere_at_ok.com)
Date: 10/20/04

Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 23:25:23 GMT

"\"Crash\" Dummy" <dvader@deathstar.mil> wrote in
news:10nb5k6hq44s33@corp.supernews.com:

>>Windows98
>>Roadrunner cable subscriber
>>All MS Windows patches installed
>>AV program up to date
>>TCP/IP bindings secure
>>Netbios over TCP/IP disabled
>
>>So why do I need to run a firewall?
>
> I will try to give you a straight answer, although I expect to get
> jumped on by all the resident security experts. If your system is as
> described, you should have no open ports. You can verify this by
> opening a DOS box and running netstat:
>
> C:\windows\netstat -an
>
> If the result shows
>
> Active Connections
>
> Proto Local Address Foreign Address State
>
> with no entries, then all your ports are closed. If all your ports are
> closed, you don't need a firewall to defend against external attacks.
> You may, however, want a firewall to monitor traffic or control
> applications. Among other things, it can spot programs that include
> spyware. It is also a great learning tool for understanding how the
> internet works. I recommend that you get one, even if you can live
> without it.

Microsoft(R) Windows 98
   (C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1981-1999.

C:\WINDOWS>netstat -an

Active Connections

  Proto Local Address Foreign Address State

C:\WINDOWS>

:)

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Root exploit for FreeBSD
    ... for two ports to my FreeBSD portscluster nodes. ... and it gives the firewall ... US this is also quite common, at least with regards to University ... if your computer is going to connect on our network it must be configured in certain ways and behave "normally" or you won't get a connection. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Root exploit for FreeBSD
    ... for two ports to my FreeBSD portscluster nodes. ... and it gives the firewall ... US this is also quite common, at least with regards to University ... if your computer is going to connect on our network it must be configured in certain ways and behave "normally" or you won't get a connection. ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Re: Trouble accessing Outlook Web Access from behind firewall
    ... When starting the firewall I also set ... > rejected and dropped packets are logged, however I see nothing in my log ... > # Higher ports needed to accept incoming/outgoing calls ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: iptables configuration
    ... >> that if a 'virus/trojan' initiated a connection to the net, the firewall ... >> would not protect the LAN. ... The LAN is NATed with private IPs to one public IP. ... the ports that are used by services running on linux. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: How to stealth against ping/echo requests?
    ... I just started using the Online-Armor firewall. ... Some ports are even open. ... Are you behind a router? ... Every time it founds a new LAN, it asks if you want to trust it ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)