Re: Surfing at Work

From: Ant (not_at_home.today)
Date: 10/18/04

Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 23:36:07 +0100

"Leythos" wrote...

> It would be nice if they had to give a reason, but they don't in most
> cases. This is what makes it great for workers and employers alike -
> people work hard they get to keep their job (most of the time), people
> that are slackers get fired (most of the time).

I fail to see any benefit to an employee in not been given a reason.
Suppose a new manager came in and fired someone because he didn't like
the colour of their skin? Without a reason, the employee has no
redress for discrimination.

[snip]
> Everyone is entitled to get up, walk outside, stretch their arms/legs,

What's that if it's not relaxation while at work?

> but you can't just punch a hole in the firewall and expect them to say,
> well - since you were on break it's ok.

Of course not.

[...]
>> Again this is not true in the UK. Various health and safety
>> regulations, and other laws, come into play. The company owes you a
>> comfortable, safe, and hassle-free working environment.
>
> And those are also the same in the US, but they have nothing to do with
> stealing company resources or subverting company policy.

They don't, but I was commenting on your apparent position of the
company owing you nothing. It's a two-way thing. Both sides have their
responsibilities towards each other.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: question for BillB and doggie
    ... morning and fire an employee because he or she does not like the ... cause of action for wrongful termination or wrongful discharge." ... If you fire someone for THAT, they claim unemployment benefits, ... you GIVE a reason to AVOID paying unemployment. ...
    (rec.gambling.poker)
  • Re: question for BillB and doggie
    ... able to fire someone without cause has nothing to do with qualifying ... morning and fire an employee because he or she does not like the ... reason, despite popular misconception, there is generally no claim ... If you fire someone for THAT, they claim unemployment benefits, ...
    (rec.gambling.poker)
  • Re: Vet Tech Journals: I saw it coming....
    ... real reason, the manager sounded a little nervous and just said she ... Vets here are hurting for business ... reason nor explanation for layng off or firing any employee. ...  She has now lost a whole series of vet tech jobs, ...
    (rec.pets.cats.anecdotes)
  • Re: question for BillB and doggie
    ... able to fire someone without cause has nothing to do with qualifying ... morning and fire an employee because he or she does not like the ... reason, despite popular misconception, there is generally no claim ... cause of action for wrongful termination or wrongful discharge." ...
    (rec.gambling.poker)
  • Re: The moment John McCain lost the debate
    ... discriminatory reason. ... The employee has the burden of proving that they ... were paid less BECAUSE of the discriminatory reason. ...
    (rec.gambling.poker)