Re: How do I safely open ports in Sygate?

chris_at_nospam.com
Date: 10/14/04

Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 05:24:12 GMT

Why bother having a software firewall, if you insist on installing
programs that contain spyware? If you really, really want to do this
anyway:

- Install the eDonkey crapware
- When it tries to connect to the internet, tell Sygate to block it.
- Open Sygate and click applications
- Find the app in the list and change to allowed
- Click the advanced tab and enter the trusted ips and/or ports

As an aside, I recommend setting the trusted IPs for your email client
to just your ISP email servers and the smtp/pop3 ports. It means you
won't see imbeded pictures in html emails (no big loss). The benefit
is you minimize the threat from many viruses and the spammers have one
less way of tracking you by seeing who viewed the pictures.

-Chris

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 01:50:01 +0100, Franklin <no_thanks@mail.com>
wrote:

>I have got free Sygate Personal Firewall 5.5
>
>The file sharing program eDonkey can also access the BitTorrent
>network by using a plugin. The readme file says the plugin needs to
>have certain ports open:
>
>------ QUOTE -------
>To install it you will have to do the following:
>
>Unzip the zip file (you already did that).
>Copy all the files into the Plugins directory of eDonkey (usually
>C:\Program Files\eDonkey2000\Plugins).
>Open TCP ports 6881 through 6889 in your router/firewall.
>Restart eDonkey2000 (v1.0).
>If asked accept the plugin to take .torrent links.
>------ UNQUOTE -------------
>
>Can I do what these instructions say and not compromise my safety?
>
>Maybe I can open these ports (how do I do that???) and restrict
>access to the ports to only eDonkey and its plugins?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: flashplugin
    ... You will now need to install the following ports and their ... If your browser doesn't register the Shockwave Flash plugin ... I'm not sure why one of my machines needed this, ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: How do I safely open ports in Sygate?
    ... Click the advanced tab and enter the trusted ips and/or ports ... >The file sharing program eDonkey can also access the BitTorrent ... The readme file says the plugin needs to ... >To install it you will have to do the following: ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: How do I safely open ports in Sygate?
    ... Click the advanced tab and enter the trusted ips and/or ports ... >The file sharing program eDonkey can also access the BitTorrent ... The readme file says the plugin needs to ... >To install it you will have to do the following: ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: flash9 checklist
    ... If the plugin doesnt show up in firefox' about:plugins, ... probably want to install something like the noscript firefox extension, ... it so the appropriate dependencies can be added to the relevant ports. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: ports 4661 and 4662 not on my xp pro?
    ... Those ports can be used by any program and are not ... tied to any program until you install that program. ... there is a TCP 4661, UDP 4661, etc.] Edonkey also uses UDP 4665. ... If you have a firewall installed such as the XP ICF firewall enabled, ...