Re: How do I safely open ports in Sygate?

chris_at_nospam.com
Date: 10/14/04

Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 05:24:12 GMT

Why bother having a software firewall, if you insist on installing
programs that contain spyware? If you really, really want to do this
anyway:

- Install the eDonkey crapware
- When it tries to connect to the internet, tell Sygate to block it.
- Open Sygate and click applications
- Find the app in the list and change to allowed
- Click the advanced tab and enter the trusted ips and/or ports

As an aside, I recommend setting the trusted IPs for your email client
to just your ISP email servers and the smtp/pop3 ports. It means you
won't see imbeded pictures in html emails (no big loss). The benefit
is you minimize the threat from many viruses and the spammers have one
less way of tracking you by seeing who viewed the pictures.

-Chris