Re: Guest user logon on my computer

From: jim (biglug_at_alltel.net)
Date: 10/10/04

Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2004 18:55:15 -0500

Do you have multiple computers? If so, one may be using the printer
through guest privs.

whoever wrote:
> I downloaded a little program called Belarc Advisor. Among other things it
> reports the last logon of all users. Periodically (every few days or so) it
> shows that Guest has logged on at such and such a date and time. I do not
> even have Guest access available on this machine since I'm the only one who
> uses it.
> I don't know if this Guest logon is something I should be concerned about or
> not. Can someone let me know what this might be and make some
> recommendations for me?
>
> I don't run any firewall other than my Netgear router (RP614v2), running XP
> professional SP1 with auto updates turned off for the moment because of it's
> persistance to make me update to SP2 which I do not want to do at this time.
>
> If I need more/tighter security can someone recommend something that doesn't
> interfere with my legitimate programs that need to access the internet, i.e.
> 3DSMax? I've tried using Blackice and Zone Alarm but they seem very
> overzealous. I just need something that can alert me to an intruder but
> doesn't block my stuff from accessing the internet.
>
> Thanks for any and all advice.

Relevant Pages

  • RE: SBS 2003 Guest account
    ... If you only want them to access the internet, ... set proxy on guest computer's IE, then they can access the internet freely, ... This newsgroup only focuses on SBS technical issues. ... | Thread-Topic: SBS 2003 Guest account ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Hyper-V, RAAS woes. . . Please help
    ... From the host I am able to ping www.news.com. ... Can you ping the host's static public IP from the guest? ... > My Hyper-V Guests cannot traverse through NAT to gain internet access. ... Pointed internet network to the internal network ...
  • Re: Sharing Cable Internet
    ... >network access and then have every silly fool call up for technical support ... >because they need internet access and can't setup their networking! ... Use a modem built-in to each computer carried by guest. ... Use motel ISP, wirelessly broadcast to each room from router. ...
  • Guest user logon on my computer
    ... reports the last logon of all users. ... shows that Guest has logged on at such and such a date and time. ... recommendations for me? ... interfere with my legitimate programs that need to access the internet, ...
    (alt.computer.security)