Re: Securing Documents when getting repairs

From: David H. Lipman (DLipman~nospam~_at_Verizon.Net)
Date: 10/09/04

Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2004 02:19:41 GMT

Remove the hard disk. Any reputable service center can install a replacement hard disk for
temporary purposes.

Dave

"itsme" <goodideas@chater.net> wrote in message news:10mdu419bbom7f8@corp.supernews.com...
| I have to bring my laptop in for a repair. Something with the screen. But I
| can assume that the repair person will want to boot up my computer to do
| diagnostics. I want to secure my documents. I thought I could just password
| protect my user name and then setup another user for the repair person using
| windows xp. But how secure is my stuff? Can he get into my files?

Relevant Pages

  • HP Pavilion dv6000 wont load vista
    ... So i restarted my laptop. ... I tried to use the PHXBIOS and did a Hard Disk self test. ... I RAN SYSTEM STARTUP REPAIR USING VISTA RECOVERY DISC ... Repair action: file system repair (chkdsk) ...
  • Re: Wijn over laptop
    ... and even if you were this sort of repair would not be covered ... I just need a sort of offer for the te repair of my laptop for the ... you can take the hard disk out of your laptop and put it into ... repalacement of a keyboard and a motherboard of a Dell 510M Laptop, ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: Water + Laptop Donut Mix
    ... this laptop that will not start. ... would be to purchase a external usb hard disk enclousure, ... water on it, HE, not you should pay for the repair. ... You need to decide if you want to stake him the cost of the repair now ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: Water + Laptop Donut Mix
    ... data that you may have had saved to the hard disk in this laptop that will ... can I expect to pay to get it repaired by Dell? ... water on it, HE, not you should pay for the repair. ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: Water + Laptop Donut Mix
    ... a external usb hard disk enclousure, ... of the laptop, put it into the enclousre, and connect it to the usb port ... can I expect to pay to get it repaired by Dell? ... water on it, HE, not you should pay for the repair. ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)