Re: Cracking admin password on Win 2000; then putting it back?

From: Q=D2=D4=D5=D2?= (plart_at_berill.dp.ua)
Date: 10/07/04

    Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 10:10:31 +0300

    IPGrunt wrote:

    > Mark3324 <user@domain.invalid> confessed in
    >

    >>The issue of motive, intent, ethics, and so on have worked their way into
    >>this thread, so in response, I thought I'd explain. You can choose to
    >
    > believe
    >
    >>it or not. (This post is posted to same three groups as the initial post,
    >
    > but
    >
    >>most messages ended up only in alt.computer.security.)
    >>
    >>I'm a free-lance consultant who is called into corporate environments to do
    >>tasks such as write training, user manuals, produce multimedia, and rework
    >>the overall production process (redesign flow, suggest tools, write best
    >>practices, etc.).
    >>
    >>My customers usually provide a cube and a computer, and said computer is
    >>usually locked down. In most cases it doesn't matter, since I'd rather work
    >>on my own PowerBook laptop. When it does matter, my boss will fill out a
    >>form to give me admin rights, and within 24 hours, I'm off and running.
    >>
    >>This present situation is a customer I've had for about seven years; they
    >>call me in for maybe three months at a time. Most of the time the PC and
    >>software they give me are sufficient. This time, however, things are
    >>different.
    >>
    >>It wasn't until the 19th day there -- last Friday, actually -- that I could
    >>log on to the network. Until then, employees had to give me files on CD and
    >>USB thumb drives, or send e-mail. The dept. director was furious it took so
    >>long, so he gave me his password so that I could log in using my Mac.
    >
    > Logging
    >
    >>in with your personal computer is an offense punishable by being escorted
    >
    > out
    >
    >>of the building, but he and several bosses way up the ladder said they'd
    >
    > make
    >
    >>sure I was left alone (I have it in writing).
    >>
    >>So now I can log in, but I have no e-mail. I can't get my mail via the Web,
    >>because when IT detects you're navigating to such sites, you're blocked,
    >
    > and
    >
    >>they block POP3 and IMAP as well. So when I know an e-mail is coming that

    >>need, I pack up the laptop and head to a shopping center down the street
    >>where I've found WiFi. According to IT, it may take another 15 days to get

    >>mailbox.
    >>
    >>Then there are the applications. The PC has nothing I need, so I wanted to
    >>load up my own stuff then erase it when I was done with the project.
    >
    > Getting
    >
    >>software is harder and takes longer than getting a mailbox.
    >>
    >>When you get down to it, the reason I *really* want to start working on
    >
    > their
    >
    >>PC is because I want to ship my laptop off for service. I'm at a point in
    >>time where this project is my only one, and I can afford to be without my
    >>system for a few days. If this drags on and the project finishes and I've
    >
    > not

> [...]

      ... In most cases it doesn't matter, ... > on my own PowerBook laptop. ... I pack up the laptop and head to a shopping center down the street ... I'll bet their Win2K machines are secured with LANMAN2. ...
      (alt.computer.security)
    • Re: Cracking admin password on Win 2000; then putting it back?
      ... In most cases it doesn't matter, ... >]on my own PowerBook laptop. ... I pack up the laptop and head to a shopping center down the street ... paid your hourly rate to twiddle your thumbs, ...
      (alt.computer.security)
    • Re: Cracking admin password on Win 2000; then putting it back?
      ... In most cases it doesn't matter, ... on my own PowerBook laptop. ... I pack up the laptop and head to a shopping center down the street ... software is harder and takes longer than getting a mailbox. ...
      (alt.computer.security)
    • Re: Cracking admin password on Win 2000; then putting it back?
      ... ]on my own PowerBook laptop. ... I pack up the laptop and head to a shopping center down the street ... ]software is harder and takes longer than getting a mailbox. ... they refuse to supply you with the working environment you need, ...
      (alt.computer.security)
    • Re: Mouse freezes up
      ... It will freeze up while I am working in ... I does not matter whether I am connected to the ... Is it hardware? ... It could also be that your laptop is overheating. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)