Re: how safe is browsing newsgroups?

From: Celtic Leroy (I_am__celtic_leroy__san_verbage_at_myhost.com)
Date: 10/03/04

    Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2004 17:11:51 GMT

    gofofer@nice.com (keexer) wrote:

    >hey leythos I just checked my newsgroup reader options and i saw i had
    >a check in the box called "launch binary attachments". i saw another
    >option box that read "doubleclick on message lauches binary
    >attachment".
    >
    >are these the options that should turned off if i don't want to render
    >html?
    >gina

    Geeze, very seldom will you get a strait answer in a new group! (as
    evidenced by the follow-up messages you've gotten)

    Gina, no. These options are for opening up the attachments, not for
    reading the message in text verses html formats. Forte does not read
    the messages in html (you are safe there). But you should also NOT
    open attachments directly from any reader. That would be a bad thing.
    Although Forte will warn you against opening an attachment that is an
    .exe .com .scr .bat... as they can be carriers of virus'.

    • Re: Preview pane problem
      ... I reiterate that there is no difference between opening a message in the preview pane and opening it in a separate message window. ... Because of this tendency of attachments to infect, Microsoft has now set OE to block all attachments. ... If you choose to adjust OE to allow attachments, make sure you save the attachment to disk first and then scan it with your antivirus software. ... Most of the problems with a faulty installation are due to other programs ...
    • Re: recovery tool
      ... Delete that and then see if OE opens. ... Most computer infections are the result of the user opening email attachments. ... Because of this tendency of attachments to infect, Microsoft has now set OE to block all attachments. ... If you choose to adjust OE to allow attachments, make sure you save the attachment to disk first and then scan it with your antivirus software. ...
    • Re: Word documents from MAC not able to open on Word PC
      ... make sure your email software is set correctly for encoding ... Mail has a menu selection (Edit> Attachments> Always Send Windows-Friendly ... If recipients still have difficulty opening the Word file it's quite likely ...
      (microsoft.public.mac.office.word)
    • Re: Attachments......yes i unchecked the second box
      ... Save As or File Save Attachments? ... Save As saves the whole message and opening that will get back to where you started. ... Turn off email scanning in your antivirus software. ... Note that dbx> files are hidden in>>Windows 2000 and Windows XP. ...
    • Re: Error when Closing Word
      ... If you are opening attachments directly, then saving them, they are being ... folder before opening it. ...