Re: Problem

From: David Postill (david_at_postill.org.uk)
Date: 10/01/04

Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 17:44:47 GMT

In article <10lpjnnl1ubph5c@corp.supernews.com>, on Thu, 30 Sep 2004 23:28:56 -0400, "Senturon"
<senturontemp-at-charter-dot-net> wrote:

| I know this is very vaigue....and if you need to know more information to
| solve or answer this problem please email me at
| senturontemp-at-charter-dot-net. I am running XP service pack 2, up to date
| trend-micro internet security -PC-Cillin- (firewall, AV), and AVG free
| edition. I am fairly knowledgeable with computer security but i am
| certainly no expert.
|
| My problem is that my conversations (particularly AIM and MSN messenger) i
| believe have been falling into someone else's hands. I know that by no
| means is any system completely secure, but it is quite frustrating and was
| curious if there was any way to determine if the 'stealing' is being done
| from my computer, or from my friends (with whom the conversations took
| place) who has a similar set-up as i do. More importantly i need to be able
| to stop it.
|
| I know the usual comment is to call the police, which i would do if i had
| hard evidence that in fact this person has stolen conversations of mine but
| i only have the remarks from my friend, which are quite obvious that they
| have been taken. I know this sounds like every corny post, but i'm simply
| at a loss for words and could really use some help. Any help or remarks
| would be greatly appreciated.

Zonealarm <http://www.zonelabs.com> has IM security which will encrypt
MSN conversations provided both ends of the conversation have it enabled:

"Zone Labs security software protects you by applying restrictions to instant
messaging software, filtering spam, and encrypting Instant Message traffic."

MessengerPlus! <http://www.msgplus.net/> allows logs of conversations to be
encrypted:

"Messenger Plus! ... for permanent privacy, it can encrypt all your logs so that
only you can read your previous chats."

<davidp />

--
David Postill

Relevant Pages

  • Re: telnet replacement - not ssh?
    ... >>It would be interesting if you could configure ssh to not encrypt the ... Why not have it set up so you ssh through the firewall to a box which is ... one that logs everything. ... consider using anywhere else since the security people could log them. ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: Filezilla a security risk
    ... is a good idea to have more than one security layer. ... FileZilla could use a Master-Password to encrypt the Account-Passwords. ... developers are not lazy but practical: they simply don't want to use ... if the recipient does not use a secure protocol to download the ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Encryption of files on USB flash drive
    ... You can find problems with current transparent security methods, ... It is an EFS that encrypts individual files. ... You can choose to encrypt a folder and all of it's contents (including ... encrypt and decrypt data. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: More on caching and logging
    ... hurt the aura of Mac security Apple has cultivated over the years? ... If you put your sensitive files onto another, external, hard drive, and then ... of ways to encrypt files, ... Anything on a work machine is by definition subject to work rules. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: Using S-MIME (encrypted & signed email)
    ... encrypt email is about better security practice, ... >> preceived view of complexity in deployment? ... I don't know how important these posts really are... ...
    (microsoft.public.security)