Re: Scanned ports question

From: Jay Calvert (jcalvert_at_nospam.com)
Date: 10/01/04

Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 17:12:42 GMT

I wouldn't just let any service scan my system. You don't know what they are
recording about you. Imagine if they found out you had port 137 or 139
open, They could very easily gain access to your files. Knowing that you
either won't do anything about it, or will take time before you get a proper
firewall in place.

The only trusted source for a portscan is GRC.com or even the Symantec site
has a scanner.

Jay
http://habaneronetworks.com

"keexer" <gofofer@nice.com> wrote in message
> Was curious to know how my firewall is holding up since it's been a
> long time since I used one of those websites that scans/tests your
> vulnerable ports for you. So I recently visited these three sites and
> ran their ports scanner tests:
> http://vector.servehttp.com
> http://probe.hackerwatch.org
> http://www.pcflank.com
>
> Ever since then my firewall has shown a five-fold increase in the
> number of "alerts" that outside computers have been trying to get in.
>

> Is this coincedence or ....
>
> Also is there any software that tests if you have unwanted leakage
> *out* to the internet?
> Gina

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Root exploit for FreeBSD
    ... for two ports to my FreeBSD portscluster nodes. ... and it gives the firewall ... US this is also quite common, at least with regards to University ... if your computer is going to connect on our network it must be configured in certain ways and behave "normally" or you won't get a connection. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Root exploit for FreeBSD
    ... for two ports to my FreeBSD portscluster nodes. ... and it gives the firewall ... US this is also quite common, at least with regards to University ... if your computer is going to connect on our network it must be configured in certain ways and behave "normally" or you won't get a connection. ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Re: Trouble accessing Outlook Web Access from behind firewall
    ... When starting the firewall I also set ... > rejected and dropped packets are logged, however I see nothing in my log ... > # Higher ports needed to accept incoming/outgoing calls ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: iptables configuration
    ... >> that if a 'virus/trojan' initiated a connection to the net, the firewall ... >> would not protect the LAN. ... The LAN is NATed with private IPs to one public IP. ... the ports that are used by services running on linux. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: How to stealth against ping/echo requests?
    ... I just started using the Online-Armor firewall. ... Some ports are even open. ... Are you behind a router? ... Every time it founds a new LAN, it asks if you want to trust it ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)