Re: How secure are disk erase programs ?

From: Anonymous (me_at_me.com)
Date: 09/22/04

Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 12:19:21 +0000 (UTC)

"Eric" <eric@xstudio.ca> wrote in news:deF3d.22924$RTE1.18080
@news01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com:

> There are some evidence eraser software, such as cyberscrub, can complete
> erase and wipe all the confidence data.
> http://www.xstudio.ca/pcsupport/security/privacyprotection.html
>
> Use any data recovery progrm to see if your deleted file is still there.
> http://www.xstudio.ca/pcsupport/system/datarecovery.html

CyberScrub is way too buggy. It crashes whenever you right click on files
to erase them, and when it wipes the slack space it BSOD's!

--
The email address used is fake.  Any replies will not be read!
If you want to reply, reply to the newsgroup instead.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Q for computer experts / network admins
    ... standalone, to wipe the drive. ... about is overwriting the drive numerous times with a very large ... writes is a secure erase, but the writes are not usually random, there ...
    (rec.gambling.poker)
  • Re: Wipe it all clean!
    ... Never store personal data on a work computer. ... I simply gave him a source for a free program which can erase data in a variety of different ways up to and beyond current government standards. ... If he wants to wipe unused space it will do that. ... John McGaw ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: free OS instead of windows?
    ... ERASER, which runs from a floppy and wipes everything on the ... Eraser - Free secure data erase tool to wipe files on your ... Eraser is a secure data removal tool, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: Shred forever?
    ... that there was a huge redundancy on the disk surfaces. ... Ie, one wipe would ... There problem is mechanical tolerance, you have to position the head exactly above the previous write to erase all of it, ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: Shred forever?
    ... that there was a huge redundancy on the disk surfaces. ... Ie, one wipe would ... is that modern disks require only one rewrite to erase past info. ...
    (alt.os.linux)