Re: VIRUS Protection Method

From: Hairy One Kenobi (abuse_at_[127.0.0.1)
Date: 09/18/04

Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 22:53:07 GMT

"Big Johnson" <youknow@anywhere.but.here> wrote in message
news:51pmk05oi960drcuvb0judfglalhk6anbh@4ax.com...
> On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 13:44:43 +0100, Mike <honey@michaelmoyse.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >Brad wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> My computers have never been infected, but I have been the target
of
> >> many attacks via email. For all my email, I use an old Win 3.1 laptop
with
> >> Forte "Agent", an offline email and newsgroups reader. I never visit
a site
> >> in an email message, unless it is a site recommended by someone I know,
after
> >> I confirm with that person, he/she sent me the email. I never open an
email
> >> attachment, unless.... (see above).
> >>
> >> When surfing the web (dial up), I use a Win 98 computer and
Netscape
> >> browser.
> >> Brad
> >>
> >> Before you type your password, credit card number, etc.,
> >> be sure there is no active key logger (spyware) in your PC.
> >>

> >You see what happens when someone mentions "She who must not be named"?
>

> His post is brief, coherent, and makes no reference to nonexistent
publications.

Hmm. But makes about as much sense..

The only question in my mind is to why the OP turns on his machine in the
first place..? After all, if each email needs to be confirmed (presumably by
phone), then why not just make a phone call? ;o)

Mind you - good security tip in there - if you stick to using an old version
of Nutscrape, then there's plenty of time to look at a message being
downloaded, make a cup of coffee, smoke a cigarette, and still stop it
mid-download..

<dons Nomex suit> ;o)

(Mental note - must get around to seeing if DOS/Win 3 will /really/ fly on
modern hardware, and to remind myself what *working* PnP looked like..)

--
Hairy One Kenobi
in the first place. So there!

Relevant Pages

  • Workplace Harassment...LONG but need help.
    ... about legal opinions. ... I get called into the human resources office to meet with ... into the equation, in my mind, things are made 100 xs worse. ... care if it's one word or a dictionary, racial harassment is racial ...
    (misc.legal)
  • Re: Dally returns!
    ... This former gun hater, who would never have a gun near the house, ... help sweet innocent Wendy"... ... people change their opinions. ... I tend to appreciate his advice, and I don't mind ...
    (misc.fitness.weights)
  • Re: Evangelicals Role in non sinful Slavery
    ... two opinions are "much the same thing". ... an open mind on the subject and come to a decision later? ... about religion, but whatever he believes then I'm sure he wants his ... a bias is no less a bias because it's a bias towards what is right. ...
    (uk.religion.christian)
  • Re: Oscar Levant
    ... In my mind, that doesn't make their perceptions or their ... own greatest strength in terms of communication on the groups I've seen. ... opinion, and a willingness to discuss such opinions openly, and not ... Whether I respect Charlie is immaterial, ...
    (rec.music.opera)
  • Re: PC HDTV tuner
    ... | looking at the MyHD recently and with the glitch on their site I didn't ... While keeping in mind that no one is obligated to post an answer to any ... Opinions are also generally acceptable, ...
    (alt.tv.tech.hdtv)