Re: hardware firewalls

From: Livewire (livewire_100_at_N.O.S.P.A.M.hotmail.com)
Date: 09/16/04

Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 17:54:01 +0100

In article <MPG.1bb38c0e74ae5c759896ca@news-server.columbus.rr.com>,
void@nowhere.org says...
> In article <MPG.1bb3b4eb92959dbb98971a@news.eclipse.co.uk>, livewire_100
> @N.O.S.P.A.M.hotmail.com says...
> > How do hardware firewalls work?
> >
> > I can see how incoming traffic can be blocked, as with NAT on a router.
> > But how can outgoing traffic be handled effectively, given that
> > decisions need to be made about what to allow and block?
>
> Firewalls determine in and outbound based on rule sets - everything is
> blocked by default. The outbound is based on several factors:
>
> 1) Generic rules that permit everything on port 80 outbound.
> 2) Specific rules that permit a service (port 80 for instance) from
> specific addresses or authenticated users.

So in what way do they differ from software firewalls? They are the sort
of rules I create at the moment?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: hardware firewalls
    ... > I can see how incoming traffic can be blocked, as with NAT on a router. ... Firewalls determine in and outbound based on rule sets - everything is ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Microsoft TechNet Magazine Article about Outbound Filtering
    ... Host-Based Firewalls Must Filter Outbound Traffic to be Safe. ... | The fact is, despite everyone's best efforts, outbound filtering is ... be needed any more for a default Windows installation, ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Dont use a Firewall other than Windows Firewall?
    ... I'm talking here about basic firewalls such as ZA ... application control but it has no means to stop outbound by settings ... IPsec that can be used to supplement any PFW MS's FW or NOT. ... Ipsec can stop inbound or outbound traffic by port, ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Passwort-Verwaltung
    ... Host-Based Firewalls Must Filter Outbound Traffic to be Safe. ... "The program NotAVirus.exe wants to communicate on ... | The fact is, despite everyone's best efforts, outbound filtering is ...
    (de.comp.security.misc)
  • Re: Mcafee or Norton
    ... Not after Windows XP SP-2 (but obviously you need to be using Windows ... Does xpsp2 have outbound protection or not (I can't see it when looking at ... If an application wants a connection, ... application rules in 3rd party firewalls. ...
    (alt.comp.anti-virus)